Jim Bowden in New Britain Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaCrossing

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was reading this months Sport Diver Mag when I came across the article describing Jim B searching for a new cave on the s. side of New Britain Island. It's a great article, however, couple things I saw raised my eyebrows. 1 on page 57 A picture of Jim wearing a SP classic jacket BC caption says Jim B prepares to Dive the blue hole :06: . Hmm not likely, but I feel better knowing I own a Classic pro that I use in the pool during my classes. 2. on page 59 a picture of Jim at a Deco stop, two computers on left Arm plus his compass, right arm nothing :06: . I am not a Cave Diver, I am not DIR, but it seems to me he has broken all the Tec rules ?? I am writting this mostly in jest. I found it odd that a Very experienced Caver would have the above.

I didn't read the article but in the pictures it doesn't look like he's wearing doubles either.

Jim Bowden certainly isn't DIR, though, and I don't know if there really are any tech rules. Divers have all sorts of ways of doing things. I know lots of divers who wear computers on their left arm and use something other than a back plate to hold onto their tank.

He was around before a lot of those rules so maybe some one forgot to tell him about them. LOL

MikeFerrara:
I didn't read the article but in the pictures it doesn't look like he's wearing doubles either.

He was around before a lot of those rules so maybe some one forgot to tell him about them. LOL

The article is pretty good, I also noted that he allowed himself to run low on air and the other 2 had followed, they ended up sharing one tank in their 15 min of Deco.

ScubaCrossing:
The article is pretty good, I also noted that he allowed himself to run low on air and the other 2 had followed, they ended up sharing one tank in their 15 min of Deco.

Yeh but that part of the story didn't make sense. THe author said Jim and the other guys had set up stages and were exploring which of the two leads they were goingto take. IF they were so low on air why wouldn't they just use one of the stages

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom