Jewish Stories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chip104

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can someone point me to a website of jewish stories pls? My prof told us some good ones in class - but my favourite one is when the guy goes up the mountain to talk to a know it all about what the talmud is all about, and he says something to the effect of "love thy neighbour as thy own, the rest is commentary. Go learn." I love that one!

@ goose: I've asked my Jewish friends the same thing.

chip104:
Can someone point me to a website of jewish stories pls? My prof told us some good ones in class - but my favourite one is when the guy goes up the mountain to talk to a know it all about what the talmud is all about, and he says something to the effect of "love thy neighbour as thy own, the rest is commentary. Go learn." I love that one!

@ goose: I've asked my Jewish friends the same thing.

There were two Torah scholars, Hillel and Shammai, who disagreed about most everything. A non-believer went to Shammai with this proposition, "If you teach me the entire Torah while I stand on one foot, I will convert to Judaism. Shammai sent him away. He came to Hillel with the same proposition. Hillel replied, " That which is hateful to you, do not do to another. This is the essence of the Torah; all the rest is commentary. Now go and learn!"

You can PM me for more info.

garyfotodiver:
There were two Torah scholars, Hillel and Shammai, who disagreed about most everything. A non-believer went to Shammai with this proposition, "If you teach me the entire Torah while I stand on one foot, I will convert to Judaism. Shammai sent him away. He came to Hillel with the same proposition. Hillel replied, " That which is hateful to you, do not do to another. This is the essence of the Torah; all the rest is commentary. Now go and learn!"

You can PM me for more info.
that's the one! It was my prof's closing remarks at the end of his section. Simple but powerful message to us. Thanks Gary!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom