Jew Fish.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mempilot:
"Larger individuals have been known to stalk and attempt to eat divers."

Seriously?!

Deadly serious! It's only a mater of time before a diver that isn't ready for the charge of one or more of these behemoths gets killed.

On the entire west coast of Florida they are back in herds! Yeah, they are often seen under 50 pounds; I witnessed a big one ambush and eat a small one. There were 20 more watching it and then the sharks came in.

In TX, MS & AL I have seen them on the rigs, but I've only dove there once or twice a year for the Rodeos in three years, so I don't know about population density. We've rarely seen the bottom. My LA buddies can't show me a single photo of a true black/carbo, just big gags and of course Warsaws. I have yet to see one on the rigs.

Most of us that shoot regularly here on Florida's west coast have had our scrapes with Jewfish. None like my buddy Dan.

Check this story... it'll give you a pucker factor of 10 real quick!

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/sptimes...=Revenge+of+the+sandwich+Series:+REAL+FLORIDA

This Goliath grabbed the wrong boy!

Chad

I remember that article. That was on another board I lurk more than post on :D

Yup - I definitely feel out of the food chain apex style when I see those guys.

They definately aren't afraid of you, that's for sure. I don't like to get near the big ones.

Curt Bowen:
Someone stated way back in this thread,that it was legal to spear Jewfish-its not, its not legal to possess them at all. Back 30 years ago when it was legal to get them, they werent as common as now, but we would not shoot them with a spear, just 12 gauge bangsticks. 38 specials and 44s would just make them mean. They may not be fast like a black or gag, but they are very strong and will take your speargun with them. They are very common now around here in Sarasota and all the way down to the Keys. Every reef holds many of all sizes. The bigger they are, the tougher they are. Meat and strength. Oh by the way this is not Curt, I didnt click his name off when I checked in. Steve.

How is it, that someone else is writting under my name and avitar?

Sounds like you were logged on under some computer and whoever Steve is, didn't log you off before posting. Work with anyone named Steve? Anyone named Steve every been to your house and post on SB? Have you been to any Steve's house and post on SB? The thread is almost a year old since the last reply, goodluck finding an answer :)

I personally hope they don't lift the restriction, but that may have something to do with the fact that they are not as plentiful up here in Northwest Florida. We are getting to the point where there is one on most of the big wrecks, but its fairly rare to see one, but you often hear it "thumpping." I think if the restriction is lifted, they'll get wiped out pretty quickly. Its a thrill to see one.

Well, they can keep the restrictions on that coast, but ease them in the gulf. Over here, you can't spit on a wreck without hitting a couple. And if you're spearing, they can get very agressive.

Florabama:
I personally hope they don't lift the restriction, but that may have something to do with the fact that they are not as plentiful up here in Northwest Florida. We are getting to the point where there is one on most of the big wrecks, but its fairly rare to see one, but you often hear it "thumpping." I think if the restriction is lifted, they'll get wiped out pretty quickly. Its a thrill to see one.

ReefGuy:
Well, they can keep the restrictions on that coast, but ease them in the gulf. Over here, you can't spit on a wreck without hitting a couple. And if you're spearing, they can get very agressive.

I am on the Gulf -- right at the top, but the jewfish is more abundant in warmer waters, and in spite of that, I doubt the FWC will lift the restriction south of Tampa and keep it for the northern Gulf. I suspect, it will stay in place for some time to come.

I agree, I don't see them lifting the restrictions, only pointing out that bag limits and restrictions often vary on the two coasts.

Florabama:
I am on the Gulf -- right at the top, but the jewfish is more abundant in warmer waters, and in spite of that, I doubt the FWC will lift the restriction south of Tampa and keep it for the northern Gulf. I suspect, it will stay in place for some time to come.

ReefGuy:
I agree, I don't see them lifting the restrictions, only pointing out that bag limits and restrictions often vary on the two coasts.

Agree completely. Its one of the fallacies of bag and size limits. It looks like all other groupers are about to be taken off limits as well. The way things are going, spearfishermen are going to be out of business inspite of the fact that they have the least impact on the species of any other take method.

I went bottom fishing the other day on a charter boat, and we killed litterally dozens of fish. The ones that were able to make it back down after being pulled up from 150 fsw, were eaten on the way back down by the dolphins and the bull sharks. In our neck of the woods, the sound of a diesel engine is the dinner bell for dolphins and sharks. I watched a 8 foot bull causally swim up and swallow whole a 12 inch grouper that was thrown back. As soon as you stop the boat and make a drop, the dolphin will actually swim up and start slapping the water with their tails to call all their cousins. If you stay at the spot for more than a few minutes, you are soon surrounded by dolphin and sharks just waiting for the "shorts."

In other words, the bag and size limits make little difference to the populations of snapper and grouper, and spearfishermen never do this much damage to the species.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom