Jets vs. Quattros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raybo

Reaction score
Okay. Been trying to keep up with the posts on fins, but want to confirm I have the info I've seen correct. Looking at either Jets or Quattros.

I currently use a set TUSA Xpert zooms (yeah, splits, but I like them). I'll probably keep using my Zooms for the warm water vacations. They are easy on the legs. I had an old pair of "generic" Jet look alikes, but quit using them a several years ago and can't find them.

Here's my situation. I'm looking to take the DIR-F class that is being setup locally later this spring, and hear the spits are out. So I'm looking for a 2nd set that will both suffice for the class, and maybe be complimentary to the kind of diving I do (or rather will be doing).

If I have it right, the jets are a lillte negative. I expect almost all of my local diving to be done in a 7mm drysuit. I currently use 1-1/2 to 2 lbs of ankle weight. Still messing with it and kind of expect that to come down a little. Anybody know how much negative the Jets run? What about the Quattros?

Bottom combing for junk is likely to become a diversionary pastime. Many of the lakes are subject to silting, so miminization of that is an issue. Anybody have opinion/experience one way or the other as to whether one of these is better/worse than the other for this.

Jets don't look like it'd be an issue (look like you could run them over with a truck!) but anybody know of any issues with the quttros longevity/durability? Especially in cold water.

Spring straps~ either one better/worse and/or easier harder to accomodate the switch? Looks like the Jets have ye olde ancient rubber strap through a cinch ring adjustment. Haven't seen the Quattros. My LDS doesn't carry them, and haven't been tot the other shops for so long, don't even know what they carry. Is it the system that locks like a ski boot? and what is the adjusment mechanism like? My Zooms have a release I can easily get in & out of and adjust with one gloved hand. Not real big on spending an extra $40 for a fancy buckle that I'll have to replace anyway. (I know I will on the jets~been there with those straps)

Thanks in advance.

I used to use Reeflex fins by Wenoka and went to Jets. Love them, help with the trim. For the DIR-F class, you don't need to get Jets. For spring straps. I love them, have the same pair for 5 years. They last forever and you can tell your fins from the other guys :D

Eric

I have the Quattros the Jets and the Turtles. The Quattros are a pretty nice fin but the are a little bit harder on the legs if your not in good shape. They are also harder to do other kicks in so I wouldn't use them for your DIR-F class. The Jets are about the best if your drysuit boot fits in the small foot pocket. I had to go with the Turtle fin which is similar to the Jet fin but the foot pocket is real huge. That's the fin I use since my drysuit boot wouldn't fit the foot pocket on the Jets.

I've taken DIRF and own both Quattros and Jets. A few comments:

You are right about the Quattros -- they do come with the "ski boot"-type buckles. Mine pop open occasionally underwater, although the newer models come with some sort of locking mechanism to prevent this. One other issue -- the buckles are incredibly adept at getting tangled on monofilment, dive flag lines, etc.

You can replace the straps on either fins with spring straps -- IMHO, the Jet Fins are best for this. The Quattro buckles are held on via circular knobs that stick out on either side of the fins. See this link for how they look with spring straps.

http://www.cyber-strategy.org/pers/FinStraps.html

To buy spring straps for the Quattros:
http://www.covci.com/~covci/specials.htm

Regarding using the fins for various kicks -- notably the frog kick, which is perfect for a silty environment -- both fins will work, but the Jets are better. The Quattros are longer and "floppier" than the Jets. As a result, while you can use the Quattros for the types of kicks taught in DIRF, the Jets are a better choice from a pure control standpoint -- stiffer and shorter blade makes for better overall control, especially for more subtle kicks. I have no doubt that I am faster with my Quattros.....but speed isn't everything. This became very obvious as I watched the underwater video footage of myself taken during DIRF (I wore my Quattros for the class).

Another advantage of the Jets is that they are cheaper. Dive shops around here sell them for about $95-100 (vs. $140 for the Quattros); Lesiurepro sells them for about $62 + shipping. You can find them even cheaper used...there are almost always several pairs for sale on E-Bay. The used route might be the way to go for the course to save some $$$.

http://s1059kxm.leisurepro.com/weba...6&cgrfnbr=956&parentCategory=954&sort=prsdesc

Not sure about how negative they are....all I know is that they both sink if left in the water ;-)

Hope this helps.

Raybo,

Everyone has given the same response I would. I have 3 pairs of Quattros and 2 pairs of Jet fins. I have been a big Quattro fan since they came out, and looked at the jet fins with disdain when my husband switched to them.

I took the DIRF in quattros and did okay on the finning but they are too soft to execute a back kick and good crisp helicopter turns. Shortly after I switched to jet fins and my initial reaction was "yuck". but after diving them a couple times I soon realized how much better and more comfortable they are. I recently went through more GUE training and just to prove to myself the difference the jet fins made in my trim, on the second or thrid day of the course I switched to my quattros. If I held my feet completely motionless in the water, I became slightly head heavy and started over. Put my jet fins back on and my trim was excellent.

Spring straps are nice, but the plain rubber ones are just fine too. I have both setups. Spring straps run around $40, rubber straps are $1.50:)

I prefer the Jet fins in all environments, especially silty ones.

My first set of fins was the IDI version of the Jetfins, so I guess I started out on the right path. Anyhow, I eventually got the Quattros when I started Technical and Cave classes. I also purchased a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins (I still have the IDI fins, and they are in great shape after 16 years). I came to realize that the Jet Fins were the best fin to use in a silty environment and that you have the ability to perform kicks with them that you can't easily manage with the Quattros. However, in the open water, I mainly use my Quattros.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom