Jetfin repair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Geoff_H

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After my dives of faithful service, I was pretty shocked to break my one of my jetfins while diving last week. I have no idea how it happened, as I felt it become loose in open water while gently finning.

After the dive, I took them off and noticed a large crack down the side of the foot pocket. These fins were not tight at all on me, there was plenty of space in the pocket and I certainly can't produce anything like enough tension to do this in the other one, by twisting, balling or rearranging my foot in any fashion.

So, anyone think it's repairable (I guess not) or even just offer a suggestion on how a fin can split in this most unlikely place? There is no sign of a crack, split or notch to "start" a crack like this.

mypoorfin.jpg

Looking at the picture, I would say that you are SOL on fixing that fin. I think I recently read on another board somewhere of a guy having his older Jet replaced by Scubapro for a failure similar to yours. Barring that, I'd try to find a single somewhere. People always seem to be losing one or leaving one behind somewhere. Good Luck!

I am looking at that pic. It looks like your crack lines up with where the sides came together duriing the thermo forming process. My guess would be a mfg defect. If the temp isn't just right for both the form and the molten material it can cause adhesion problems

The join is about 1cm above the tear... it hasn't torn along a join line or a faultline... it's on a plain bit of the rubber.

Easy fix. Mix up a bunch of JB weld and fill up the foot pocket with it. Jam in your foot, working your toes around so the JB weld forms completely around your foot. Let it set up. Takes around 15 minutes. The fin will definitely stay on. You will never have to worry about broken straps, etc ever again. You might have to walk backwards from now on, but that's not a big deal. Might as well do the other fin while you are at it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom