Jet test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On our Nekton cruise last month, my old US Divers padde fins decided that it was enough and the foot pocket began separating from the paddle. Granted, they were over 13 years old, so I can't complain too much, and a little duct tape got me through the last day without losing a dive. :wink: But when I got home, I knew the quest for new fins would begin.

Since I only dive warm and live in a cold water area, it turned out to be quite an interesting search, with typical conversations in dive shops going something like this:

Me: My fins died and I'm looking for new ones. I dive warm water only, don't like splits, and want a paddle fin that gives me precision and control, not necessarily speed.

LDS: Okay, let me show you a few. Have you seen the Apollo splits?

Me: I don't like splits, I find them floppy and hard to control.

LDS: Are you sure? The splits really provide you with a lot more power and speed than the paddles.

Me: I understand that, but I don't need speed for the type of diving I do.

LDS: You know, with all the weight and bulk you have to carry, the splits really make your life easier. Plus, you won't get the leg cramps you'll get with paddles.

Me: I only dive warm, so don't carry much weight. Also, I've had paddle fins for 13 years and have never gotten a cramp. (I don't tell them I've only been diving for 2 years, figuring if they assume I've been diving for longer that the might listen to me). I'm looking for paddle fins and don't want splits.

LDS: Warm huh? Okay, how about these full foot fins?

Me: I prefer open heel fins, makes it easier to pull them off to get back on the boat, and full foot rub my feet badly.

LDS: Hmmm, let's see what else we have. Are you sure you don't want to consider the splits? You can try them in the pool.

Me: Look, I understand the value of the split fin, and definitely see why people love them, especially diving locally with lots of gear on, but I don't like them. Why don't I just look around for awhile and I'll ask you if I need sizes to try something on?

Of course I've read Scubaboard posts about different types of fins, but knew that I really needed to buy from an LDS because I wanted to try different fins in the pool. (I won't try fins at a shop and buy on-line to save a few bucks, that's simply not right IMO.) Of course we all know what fins a lot of folks here like...Jets!

So after trying a few Oceanic fins, Tusa fins, and a Mares one, I went to a shop that carried Jets. The manager let me borrow the fins to try in the pool this weekend, and I hit the water yesterday to put them through a few laps in the pool.

After 2 laps, I knew that I would be extremely disappointed if these fins didn't hold up for me...and after 25 minutes in the pool, I knew I was a convert!! :D These fins gave me the ease and comfort for both flutter and frog kicking, with quite a lot more power in the frog kick than my old paddles....and more comfort. They didn't have one rub spot on my foot and frankly seemed almost made for my feet. I also loved the ability for great bursts of speed with these fins, and after swimming nearly non-stop for 25 minutes, I knew that even long surface swims wouldn't be a problem for me....not that I ever do long surface swims. eyebrow

I love the short, broad paddles as opposed to the longer blades I used to have, and can't wait to take these babies out in the ocean where they belong.

Big, Big... no make that a HUGE grin.

Congrads on discovering the Jets, they rock. I'll still keep my apollos and the excellerating force fins for when I really need the speed but for the most part I always use the jets for all my dives.

Enjoy your new fins and keep safe.

SangP

You will enjoy your fins and I can almost guarantee that they will never, ever wear out. The reason I say almost, is I know someone who finally wore her fins out after diving since the late 60's - early 70's. She wore a little hole where her big toe goes in the pocket of one fin.

DiveMe:
On our Nekton cruise last month, my old US Divers padde fins decided that it was enough and the foot pocket began separating from the paddle. Granted, they were over 13 years old, so I can't complain too much

You new Jets won't wear out that soon.

I loved reading your story - sounds like when I went into the lds here with the same question...

me: I'd like to try on a pair of XL Jet fins
lds: Would you like the gray or yellow ones?
me: Not twin jets, old jets...
lds: You mean the cinder blocks?
me: whatever you call them... yes
lds: are you sure? The splits are so much better
me: that may be the case, but can I just try on the "cinder blocks"
lds: ok... but everyone around here likes the twin jets...

So Your story brought back some funny memories for me as well... turns out they didn't have a pair that fit, so they special ordered some...

what's really funny I think is that the majority of the instructors I've seen around here use paddle fins, and many of them use jets...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
what's really funny I think is that the majority of the instructors I've seen around here use paddle fins, and many of them use jets...

Aloha, Tim
:( I'm not around there but, can't stand those jets. I tried again recently and they tore my legs up, guess I'm too old and feeble.

On the other hand I know plenty of divers who love them, Tim is their leader I believe.

And he wears XX not X. :wink:

Al Mialkovsky:
: guess I'm too old and feeble.QUOTE]

Don't be so hard on yourself Al. I have no problems with jets but for some reason quattros kill my ankles.

SANTA:
(in a blubbering, despaired voice)
It all just makes no sense!

kidspot:
I loved reading your story - sounds like when I went into the lds here with the same question...

me: I'd like to try on a pair of XL Jet fins
lds: Would you like the gray or yellow ones?
me: Not twin jets, old jets...
lds: You mean the cinder blocks?
me: whatever you call them... yes
lds: are you sure? The splits are so much better
me: that may be the case, but can I just try on the "cinder blocks"
lds: ok... but everyone around here likes the twin jets...

So Your story brought back some funny memories for me as well... turns out they didn't have a pair that fit, so they special ordered some...

Aloha, Tim

Glad to be able to bring back old memories for you....unfortunately it happened to me 3x, not just once, so it took awhile to be funny. :10:

Ironically, when I went into the LDS to borrow them to try, the manager (who is a great guy) cautioned me not to be surprised if I come back wanting to try the Twin Jets instead. He said that a lot of people will try the Jets and come back complaining they felt like having boards strapped to their feet. Perhaps it's my kicking style, but I found the Jets to be less "board-like" than my old paddles were, and attributed that to the fact that they are shorter and broader.

Either way, I feel very confident that I put them through the rigours by swimming with them for a good 25 minutes, which is far longer than I've ever "swam" while diving. :05: Now I have to wait 11 weeks to test them out in the wonderful waters of Maui! :D

But, DiveMe, are you sure you wouldn't like to try splits?

Al Mialkovsky:
:( I'm not around there but, can't stand those jets. I tried again recently and they tore my legs up, guess I'm too old and feeble.

On the other hand I know plenty of divers who love them, Tim is their leader I believe.

And he wears XX not X. :wink:

Hey Al,

I don't wear XXL any more... I "undergrew" them when I switched to diving dry - now I have to wear Turtles... so technically I don't even wear Jets now :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom