Jet Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

In order to closely simulate training for Naval Special Warfare I am interested in buying Jet Fins (as that is what they train with) to train in for long distance swims, etc. I know jet fins as well as any fins have a break in period and as a high school swimmer and surf on a regular basis am a strong swimmer to begin with.

I just can't seem to figure out what size I am. My foot is a size 10 (converse, vans). From the alohashoredivers website I figured I must be an XL, as I was unable to find the "kidspot" size chart that is often referred to. At the same time though it seems like everywhere I search people are selling size LARGE. I have a 7mm surfing bootie size 10 for winter that has a small sole(not really a boot) but as I will probably be using these in a pool I figured Id purchase a cheap pair of 3mm booties.

I also thought about spring straps for easy on and off... I just dont know if I'd be a large or XL spring strap as well.

What would you guys recommend as far as sizing goes? I've looked at all the posts on here regarding the same question with people asking their own sizes however I just could not figure out for 100% if I could fit into a LARGE or would have to go with the XL...

Thanks for your time in advance,
Gordon

I believe they still use the rubber ducky flippers and rocket fins at Buds and dive school.

Might want to look into those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have looked into those and they seem like theyd be the same thing almost at a much cheaper price. I'm on a college student budget and have found a size large jet fin on craigslist with one missing strap for 30 dollars. Also, some aqua lung rocket fins for 40 dollars (with both straps). The sizing on the rockets also seems a little more easy to find the correct size for and also seem to be an overall cheaper fin.

You won't fit in a large. I wear larges with turbosoles, and I have a ladies 7 foot.

Here is your kidspot sizing chart: Aloha Shore Divers

Most men I know are marginal for the XLs and often are looking for something a bit bigger. I do understand that SP has changed the sizing on the XXLs, so they aren't 747 hangars any more, but a lot of people bought the Turtles or Hollis fins because the foot pocket size fell between the XLs and the XXLs.

There is a significant difference between Jet Fins and Rocket Fins. Don't bother with the Rocket Fins unless you like swimming with plywood panels on your feet. They are heavy and have virtually no flex. I could not use XL Jet Fins with a size 12 foot and any kind of structured boot. Had to go to the XXL, but that was years ago sizing. The XXLs were a must for my UniSuit - that should date when I bought the fins. I was a Rocket Fin user up to that point and could not believe the difference.

In a wetsuit, using 7mm neoprene boot size 10, I wear XL jet fins

In a drysuit, using 5mm neoprene boot size 12 (with drysock and insulation layer inside), I wear an XXL jet fin

my normal shoe size is US 10.5

Also, I believe I am using 8" spring straps on both, but not completely sure.

Okay, so I should be atleast an XL and maybe even an XXL in the jet fins? I wear a size 10 hyperflex 7mil bootie, like this...
hende465462_244748_jb.jpg

This is the bootie I wear in size 10. I think hyperflex is the surfing version of a scuba wetsuit company whose name evades my memory. I would eventually like to get a 3mm bootie in the future though because these are extremely warm.

I have abandoned the rocket fins idea, however am quite interested in turtle fins. They seem like they are cheaper to buy second hand and also I've heard they can be more comfy in the foot pocket. What size turtle would you guys advise for my size?

I really appreciate all the help. I want to find a good bootie for endurance swims of up to and over 2 miles. So I figure its best to find the perfect fin/bootie combo now to help with my training.

Thanks again,
Gordon

I think XL would be just fine for those boots. I have worn used my XXL jets with my 7mm boots and they were annoyingly loose.

however, I would cut off the velcro strap on those hyperflex boots as it will be in the way wearing most any fin.

Agree, Jets size XL with XL straps should fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom