Jet Fins vs. Turtles Test.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Last night I found myself trying out a pair of Turtles that Uncle Pug loaned me, since Delta had misplaced a bag containing my Jets.

This comparison is hardly scientific and more my random thoughts about the experience.

It felt as if the Turtles were a bit smaller in the water. The pro to this was that they were slightly less clumsy than the Jets. The con was that they seemed to lack a little power. I noticed that I had to work a bit harder early in the dive to keep up with UP, but he may have moving along to get to a GPO den.

The Turtles felt a bit more flexible. I noticed this when we were swiming out from shore.

The Turtles performed flawlessly with all kicks.

Since neither I or my buddies race around a dive site, it is rare that I get fatigued, so last nights dive wasn't worth comparing on that issue.

The test pair that I used, didn't have spring straps. I found it harder to remove the rubber straps off of my rock boots. No fault of the fins though.

Overall - these fins are awesome. I would recommend them to anyone. The differences between the Jets and Turtles are very small ones. I will likely buy a pair for myself.

Thanks for the comments - I agree with you on the Turtles, I've been considering switching to them because they fit my boot much better than the XXL Jets - plus they are a lot smaller for packing in my suitcase when I travel :wink:

I don't like the "less power" option though, so that's what has been holding me up in making my decision...

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
I don't like the "less power" option though, so that's what has been holding me up in making my decision...
I think that problems is there because the foot pockets on Turtles are very flimsy (vs the jets).

Personally I like jets better, but my DC suit boots are just a little too big for XL Jets and are a little small for my turtles. Which unfortunately is going to cost me some cash when I get the boots replaced with turbo soles, but then I will get to replace the turtles with jets.

hmm - I found the Turtle foot pocket to be almost form fitting with my boots, the Jets are still just a bit loose (or way too tight with XL). So I would have thought just the reverse to be true of the pockets effect on power/responsiveness.

I decided to give the Turtles a "fair shake" so I'm going to wear them the next few dives and see how I like them. I did wear them snorkeling yesterday and put a little over a mile on them ... spent 2 1/2 hours cruising around Honolua Bay - they worked quite nicely, my legs were tired at the end, but not bad. The last 30 minutes I did a 1/2 mile straight shot without stopping (racing some kids on shore as they walked) - gave my legs a bit of a workout since I was going into the current the whole time, but it was a good day with the Turtles.

Aloha, Tim

Well I took them on 2 dives and 2 snorkel days ... I did find backing up in the Turtles to be easier - I think it's because they fit my boots better. Unfortunately I found I am prone to getting foot cramps in them. I think the foot pockets are just a tad too tight and that is causing the problem. So I switched back to my Jets yesterday and foot cramps were gone...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom