Jet Fins Vs Colt 1911

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone for making this a VERY fun and informative thread... Jet fins are on the way - and I think I may have had a LEMON of a 1911 (I'm still keeping my .375 mag in my nightstand and a 12ga in the closet though).

AIR ON… What type of martial arts are you into? The reason I ask is, I’ve been into MA since teen years (Kung **, Karate and in adult life – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MT kick boxing and MMA) and I have not heard of a MA system that incorporates firearms… Not only use, but instruction…. That’s awesome!

Thanks again to all,
Brett

first of all divers use fins. flipper is a dolphin from an old t.v show. Jet fins are truly worth their weight in gold. although they do take some getting used to but once you have mastered them you will find them unchallenged by any other fin in any conditions. the biggest mistake people make with them is kicking from the knee down. calf will become tired and rapidly tire the diver.kicking from the hip (which many divers fail to do) is a must. many people have asked me how I was able to beat the current coming off of diamond head while shore diving a ship wreck 1 mile off shore. at first I thought I was simply a strong swimmer, that is until one of my jet fins came up missing, I have since tried every other set of fins in our dive shop (all our jet fins sale out very fast) and I have come to the conclusion that jet fins have no equal. so until the next shipment comes in I dive with one jet fin on my power leg and a stiff scuba pro on my left. true story. dont believe me ask my boss waikiki diver 808-922-2121

first of all divers use fins. flipper is a dolphin from an old t.v show.
I don't agree. I am pretty sure I remember Mike Nelson on Sea Hunt say things all the time like "Say...could you hand my my flippers" when he wanted someone to hand him his fins. So, at least in the old days, divers used flippers.

Of course, "Jet Flippers" would have sounded stupid so Scubapro can be given a pass on that transgression, where as all the godless heathens that have forsaken The One True Combat Handgun, the 1911, will surely spend all eternity in hell doing immediate action drills on their Glocks and/or wondernines.

Well, I'm prepared to say that if you come at me with a pair of jet fins and I have a model 1911 Colt, I'll win. For a start, you can't walk that quickly in ANY fins and. for seconds, even an unloaded Colt makes a mighty fine club.

Next up: a pair of 3mm Scubapro gloves versus the Callaway 9 iron.

I had been led to believe that Jet Fins were bullet proof. My testing now indicates that a Glock with 40S&W will penetrate Jet Fins. However, it does appear that subsequent tests of the impervious generic Jet flippers proves that a few .40 caliber holes in them does not seem to harm their performance and only adds to their macho look.
N

Yes...you need the greater stopping power of a .45 ACP to incapacitate a pair of Jet Fins.

That is because these are all typical "guy" things to do. Every guy wants to scuba dive because they get to wear big watches, every guy wants to fly airplanes because they get to wear both big watches and dark sunglasses and as to shooting, all guys like to blow up stuff, I know I do. It is all about impressing women, I know this because I am a keen observer of human behavoir.

Yo, y'all don't be surprised when the last black pair of Jets slips from the clearence wall.

N

Nemrod, you fool! Everyone knows that guys get into scuba diving because they get to strap a huge honkin' knife on their leg. It has nothing to do with watches.

This thread is pretty much useless so far because no one has really done an apples to apples comparison so I took it on myself to do one.

First, out to the quarry. I gotta say that my XL Jets were very solid. Good propulsion and excellent control. Proper trim with drysuit. The 1911's were a completely different story. No propulsion whatsoever and they made me tremendously foot heavy. Back kick, helicopter turn, frog kick, it didn't matter. I wasn't going anywhere. In addition, I had to break both guns down and completely dry them out and clean and oil them afterwards. The jets, just a quick rinse and they were good to go.

Now off to the range. The 1911 shown here as expected. The Jets did better than expected though. I swapped the spring straps for some heavy bungee and installed a guide for the homemade darts I had fabricated. Although it didn't have the knockdown power of the .45, it did produce a reasonable group at 25'.

Bottom line, Jets beat Colts. :D

The .40 was developed for the FBI to replace the 9mm because the FBI wanted a round which they thought would equal the knockdown power of the .45 ACP (yet would not be the .45 ACP) since the 9mm wasn't doing the job, so that they would not have to go through the embarrassment of admitting that they made a big mistake by changing over from the .45ACP in the first place. Typical bureaucratic foot-shuffling.

AIR ON… What type of martial arts are you into? The reason I ask is, I’ve been into MA since teen years (Kung **, Karate and in adult life – Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, MT kick boxing and MMA)

I know that wasn't directed towards me, but I'll join in.

I trained in muay thai for many years, and later crossed over to jeet kune do (taught by a gracie BJJ black belt) for a while. I haven't done anything recently.

Was That Black Belt Roy Harris by chance (he's a 3rd or 4th degree BJJ BB - and also a JKD guy)?

Brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom