Jet fins or Seawing Novas for fighting current/bad weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Sea Wing Novas flop a lot on the hinge, which allows recoil and therefore gives you a low energy expenditure to thrust ratio. Meaning you can go "fast" without feeling the pain. Having said that, if you have the leg strength, you can burst much faster with Jet fins than with Sea Wing Novas. Even on a nice cruising speed, Jet fins will beat out Novas, provided each diver flutter kicks effectively for the fin they wear. The Novas have a top speed that is much lower than the Jet fins, however it is easier to maintain that top speed; relatively speaking.

The big downside to Jet fins of course is whether you can maintain a cruising speed or not. I've been diving them for two years now, and make a 900yd swim in just under 18mins. Friends with the Sea Wing Nova's and split fins usually do much much better.

I can attest for a fact, that if there's a heavy surf break with a powerful suction, friends who have had the Sea wing Novas were not able to break through out of the surf zone and into the beach. They had to wait until a wave pushed them onto the beach, where they could dig in and crawl out.

In fact, the only people who could break through in those conditions were those sporting stiff fins, this isn't to say everyone with the stiff fins were able to though. Examples would be Mares Avanti Quatros, Jet fins, and OMS Slipstreams, from my experiences. There are plenty others as well that would also do that job.

Overall I think you should get the Jet fins and just train yourself up. Unless you have weak joints in your legs, you will be able to adapt to them with little time, as long as you don't take long hiatuses between diving or swimming with fins.

The orange Gorilla Novas were a limited run for pros only.

I will tell you my personal experience. I'm 5'4" and not terribly athletic. I can swim fine for my own purposes using Jets, and they excel for precise positioning and maneuvering. But I can't keep up with students who are using the standard SeaWing Novas, which is why I bought the Gorillas, which turn out to be as bad as Jets for stiffness. The standard Novas are more difficult to use for all the precise maneuvering kicks, but they can be done.

Unless you intend to make a habit of swimming into current, I think the Jets would serve you well. Jets are often available used on e-bay.

Actually, I've never had an issue with Jet fins in a current. I've never been a decent breast stroker, hence the frog kick was pretty alien to me. On the other hand, the flutter was natural for me because I learned how to swim using the freestyle. Speaking from my own experience, it's about getting a good technique with the Jet fins, knowing how it catches water. But of course, crazy currents of >2 knots, I'm not even gonna bother fighting it and I'll drift if I have the option, or just call the dive.

I think a little depends on your size, stamina and leg strength. For me, a small guy, I find the Gorillas better in a current, the jets tire me out. I'm going to buy some Quattros and try them out after reading so many positive reviews. Or maybe I should eat more and go to the gym.

how long have quattro's been around the same design etc why re-invent the wheel!!! lol

Hmm I think I will have to get my hands on both before deciding,even if I can't try them in the pool the weight and feel will be a big deciding factor. Do the novas feel like they are made of plastic and if so does that hurt the foot at all?

Hmm I think I will have to get my hands on both before deciding,even if I can't try them in the pool the weight and feel will be a big deciding factor. Do the novas feel like they are made of plastic and if so does that hurt the foot at all?

The Novas are the most comfortable fin I have ever used. One jet fin weighs more than both Novas.

I think a little depends on your size, stamina and leg strength. For me, a small guy, I find the Gorillas better in a current, the jets tire me out. I'm going to buy some Quattros and try them out after reading so many positive reviews. Or maybe I should eat more and go to the gym.

I don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Quattros are a very long fin in feel. Your feet might torque more to the side if you're not used to them while flutter kicking. I prefer Jets over Quattros because it feels like a smaller package on my feet when kicking. I'm about 5'6", if that helps.

Hi guys sorry I haven't posted in a while Uni keeps me very preoccupied at the moment. Thanks for all the comments they have been very helpful. In terms of fins I am leaning towards the Novas slightly due to the weight but I still needs to get my mits on both in the shop. If I do end up buying novas I was wondering if he white colour is good in low vis which is pretty common where I am diving, my only concern is would they get scuffed and go manky if so black makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom