Jet fins or Seawing Novas for fighting current/bad weather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ESharp

Registered
Reaction score
I love my splits but when the weather took a turn for the worst and I was being washed away from the boat they just did not cut the mustard. I am thinking about investing in a set of jets because they seem to get such a fantastic write up and will let me diversify my kicking technique. However from what I know they are heavy and will knacker my legs (maybe good for a workout) also I will need to invest in quick release spring straps that brings the price(new) up to near nova price. In regards to the novas they seem high tech and have thrust and speed in a lightweight package but the price(ouch). What I am asking is can anyone give me some direction in this old school vs new school decision keeping in mind I am running a single tank with a drysuit set up in exclusively recreational situations.

Thanks in advance.

I used Twin Jet splits, but changed to Nova's last year,because I was always the last in the group I was diving with :). Just love the straps on the Nova's. They feels a bit "big" inside wrecks, but they give way more speed. A bit harder on the legs, but I can do it going 59.........so.... By the way, I have the old ones, not the Gorillas. Got a good offer and bought them for $ 140,-
Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

I try not to dive in currenty sites but sometimes it can't be helped, and so I've dived against current and heavy surge with my Atomic split fins and the Scubapro Seawing Nova. I can tell you this much, it's a mutha either way.

The way the split fins build up speed is with a bit of time as you increase the kick cycle. I've noticed that my Novas may give some quicker initial thrusts but my splits seem to have higher top speed.

Lately I've been favoring the Novas because they're much shorter and thus easier to pack in my mesh dive bag, but otherwise, it makes no difference to me which fins I use.

simple neither!!!!
mares quattros a plain simple no crap fin!!!!
they will not knacker your legs out in a current

Op--you will get as manydifferent opinions as you get replies. The trouble is that with fins its what works for YOU that counts. On that basis Id try other peoples fins and see what feels right for you.

My problem is I can't try either of them, my local shop stocks both but I was recommended novas but I am not sure if that is sales talk and he is trying to fob off the most expensive fins to someone who is obviously unsure of what suits his needs that's why I asked here.

Thank you for the offer Divealpha but I am from the UK and am not sure if shipping is really practical here.

a simple solution a fin is a under water paddle things to look out for surface area of the blade (bigger more power but more effort needed , smaller less power less effort less travel etc)
design simple uncomplicated (does a fin really need moving parts? gimicks?)
possible weak points in the fin eg power pands (snap) hotshots , mares volos snap by the pocket?
nova wings get weak on the pivot points?
jet fins solid rubber fins nothing speial but heavy ( bagage limits?)but simple
if it breaks on holiday they will !!! can YOU fix them????
yes i know people put spring retainers on them great but extra costs and if they are the bolt on types where you have to cut the lugs off then what happens?? up a creak without a paddle!!!
oops
sorry bad pun
i have always had the quattros either full or pocket type (any straps will fit if they snap!) simple fair size blade no moving parts and light to travel
just my thoughts

So kinda agree with Gizmo but not completely....

Ole Seawings did break, all three pair I had... new Seawing Novas design all good... well over 300 dives last year on white standard Novas and Orange Gorillas, no issues...

Love the bungies, far better than springs.... prefer the Gorillas in a current but can be stiff if you're not ready for them... almost like a Jet but with half the weight.

Standard Novas are good choice. Funny looking and some people just can't get past that, but they work...

None of my students that have bought the new design have had a break or failure...

my two cents...
IMG_0178.jpg

Shipped a pair to a buddy in the UK a couple months ago.

my outlook on fins was just potential failure points not that they are known failures just a potential posability
why make fins complicated???
just an excuse to charge large amounts of hard earned cash!!!
then you go into the the life span of fins (before the materials loose there properties of strength) go floppy lol???

Back
Top Bottom