Jet Fins and there buckles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver smitty

Reaction score
This is more curiosity than anything else so here is the question.

What is the problem with the buckles on jet fins.

I have had my Jets for three years now and ajusted them once when I got them and that was it have not touched them since except for inspection.

When I put them on I just strech them over the back of my booties and dido when I take them off.

So once again what is the problem with these buckles???

Hey Smitty I can top that one. I have owned my current pair of jets for six years and they not only have the same straps but have never been adjusted since new. I think it must be bionic rubber. I just hope that my new twin jets last as well.
DSDO

OK guys here's the straight poop,

When diving in an overhead environment, wrecks or caves you don't have any "danglies". Nothing out of place, nothing to catch on anything. The fins are great, (have 2 pairs myself) the straps is where the problem is.

In order not to have any danglies you have to duct tape the loose part of the strap so it won't flap. (kinda poetic huh) If you duct tape the straps they loose their elasticity.

That's why they replace the straps with spring heal straps.

Hope this answers your question.

Don

They can be a bit of a pain in Kelp to but not enough to where I have ever given this angle a thought though.
So guess this means I gotta check this out which straps are you reffering to as replacements.

Thanks Smitty

Smitty,

Back in the Good Ole Days, (before my time) Oceanic made what is called "spring heal straps" and used them on their fins. Now they are a prized possession of all 'techies" the straps are great, no danglies. Possibly the best design ever invented. Well to make a long story short they quit making them. You can try to find them at garage sales, but lots of luck.

Now there are 2 ways to aquire them, you can make them yourself...

or you can buy them from an individual who now makes them for sale...

They are really the cats meow as far as fin straps are concerned.

Hope this helps.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom