jet fin, twin jet ,twin jet max- scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kerei

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
What are the differences of those three different fins for those who use it? which one is good for beginner diver. which one you will choose?

The Jet fin is going to be very stiff and very heavy, great for pushing a lot of diver and gear through the water. It's what I use for my technical and rec diving and I love them.

Twin jet/max are split fins so that's a matter of endless debate. Between the two of them the only difference is one is full foot and one uses the strap. I'd go with the Twin Jet between the two of them just so I don't have to walk to dive sites barefoot.

Edit - meant to be addressed to Kerei..........opps........

Like sea2Summit I use both.........

Lightning Jets for wrecks, drysuit and if the dive is serious photo dive........the fine control and alternative kicks (frog and back) give the Jets the edge.......at the expense of leg cramps.......they are heavy, negatively buoyant and cheap ($70 from LP)......many on SB swear by this fin, only use this fin and love them........make sure your booties fit properly in the foot pocket.........

If it is a fun reef dive then it is Twin Jets for me.........no leg cramps and the feeling of nothing on your feet........you fly underwater with the flutter kick.......darling bride and daughter are very susceptible to leg cramps they only dive Twin Jets.......plus the yellow (and white I heard) practically glow underwater which is great to help keep track of them.......with Twin Jets, the different colors are more or less stiff......Black, stiffest and negatively buoyant, Blue/Grey are medium and positively buoyant, yellow are soft and positively buoyant......I just saw the pink and white ones.........if available on LP they sell for $125/pr........

Twin Jet Max is the 2008/09 version of the Twin Jet theoretically combining the two (LJ and TJ) with a better foot pocket.........I am not sure as I have never used them........I also believe they are avlaible with an open heel.......

As far as best for a new diver - depends on your diving style, future plans and how easy you get leg cramps........

I'll go out on a limb here and recommend the Twin Jets for a new diver (due to leg cramp thing), but you may find yourself buying as set of Jets soon enough..........

I own both yellow Twin Jets and Lighting Jets and love them both.........:)

Hope this helps...........M

The Jet fin is going to be very stiff and very heavy, great for pushing a lot of diver and gear through the water. It's what I use for my technical and rec diving and I love them.

Twin jet/max are split fins so that's a matter of endless debate. Between the two of them the only difference is one is full foot and one uses the strap. I'd go with the Twin Jet between the two of them just so I don't have to walk to dive sites barefoot.

Both the Twin Jet and the Twin Jet Max are available in full-foot and open heel, that is not the difference. The Twin Jets are just rubber, and while being available in various colours in the States, are only available in black over here, and the black ones are the stiffer material. They are not a full split like the Biofin or Oceanic V12, for instance, instead having the vents from the old Jetfin and a short split.

The Twin Jet Max fins are two-material, with hard plastic inserts in the blade. They are like a long, stiffer version of the Twin Jet.

I found the Twin Jet Max fins gave more power and thrust than the Twin Jets, but they are bigger and more expensive. Despite what is said as a sweeping generalisation of split fins that they don't work in a current, I've used both in some challenging conditions in the Red Sea with no problems whatsoever.

Mark

Split fins are obviously much better than blade fins especially for beginners who do not know the frog-kicks at all. Pay attention to following comment by Charles Hood (Tester Of DIVE Magazine):
"What's more, I can't remember the last time I heard someone who's seriously dived with split fins rubbishing them. Split fins are like Apple Macs: once you've joined the users' club, you don't want to go back".

maybe, but I've tried them & can't stand them. to each his own.

I bought twin jet max for my wife. I've tried them. can't stand them. I'm a jet diver.

Split fins are obviously much better than blade fins especially for beginners who do not know the frog-kicks at all. Pay attention to following comment by Charles Hood (Tester Of DIVE Magazine):
"What's more, I can't remember the last time I heard someone who's seriously dived with split fins rubbishing them. Split fins are like Apple Macs: once you've joined the users' club, you don't want to go back".

Excellent comparison because split fins cannot perform the full range of propulsive kicks just as Apple/Mac cannot run the full range of available softwares.

N

Jet fins are, in my opinion, the way to go. I use them on all my non-vintage dives. I've tried Twin Jets. They are lighter than Jets, but not light enough to make any real difference. In fact, in the water, the difference is even less, because weight doesn't matter, what matters is buoyancy. Jets are slightly negative in sea water. If I stick my boot in the foot pocket, the unit is neutrally buoyant. Tests I've conducted have show me that I can do any kick with either fin, but kicks are more effective with Jets. I also have fine control with Jets. I lose that fine control with any split fin I've tried so far. Since I don't always stay 6 reef off the reef, I want that fine control even on easy reef dives.

roverdive:
Split fins are obviously much better than blade fins especially for beginners who do not know the frog-kicks at all.

Sounds like the class should be improved. All divers should know the frog kick before being certified.

Here is one other option to add to your list. OMS slipstreams are a very nice and are neutrally buoyant.

OMS Drysuit Fins s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom