Jet Fin / Size 10 Rock Boot confirmation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update: Just in case anyone other than me is actually interested in the verdict. :)

I went to another LDS and tried on size 9 Rockboots, with my Thor-Lo socks only, and put on a pair of XL Jets. They fit. It was tight, yes, but they fit and did indeed go far enough in to be fully useable. Note that I was NOT including the suit's sock in the shoe, which would have made the shoe a tad bigger and may have prevented it from fitting. But I think it's clear that: 1) people with size 9.5 feet should not wear size 9 rockboots, and 2) people with smaller feet than 9.5 may be able to get away with it. I figure the suit's sock adds a half to full size, so people with size 9 and smaller, who are satisfied with the insulation provided by Thor-Lo heavy trekking socks, can probably use size 9 rockboots with XL Jets.

Photos (excuse the crappy cellphone camera):

At first glance it does not appear to fit:
RB-Sz9-looseinXLjet.jpg

But pushing it in, realizing the shoe material wraps around the foot, perhaps it does fit:
RB-Sz9-jammedinXLjet.jpg

Putting the shoe on, however, and actually wearing it normally, and while yes it is a close fit, it fits:
RB-Sz9-wearinXLjet.jpg

From the top:
RB-Sz9wearinXLjetTop.jpg

The last part of my test was trying the 10.5 Converse in the XL Jets. I didn't have a drysuit's sock at home to test with, but I doubled the Thor-Lo's, which should be about the same thickness, to simulate it. It fits nicely, except it is pretty tight on the side where the extra bumper rubber is. I think shaving that rubber down slightly would do the trick, as the person mentioned doing with the size 11 Converse to accomplish the same thing. Note that my springs are pretty stretched out, but I think it'll get in tighter once I shave it down a little. And it still gets enough of the foot in the pocket to be considered useable, IMO.

Photos:

Side view:
CV10.5-XLjet.jpg

Top view:
CV10.5-XLjetTop.jpg

Bottom view:
CV10.5-XLjetBtm.jpg

That's about the pull I had in my SS with the XL Jets. It's doable, but I was finding it painful after an hour dive. After a bunch of straight dives on the Spectre I was through and bought the Turtles. Also found the Jets a bear to get off once my foot was jammed in (Turtles are much easier to pull off). Definitely give it a shot, but don't be surprised if you end up (regrettably) switching.

Rainer:
That's about the pull I had in my SS with the XL Jets. It's doable, but I was finding it painful after an hour dive. After a bunch of straight dives on the Spectre I was through and bought the Turtles. Also found the Jets a bear to get off once my foot was jammed in (Turtles are much easier to pull off). Definitely give it a shot, but don't be surprised if you end up (regrettably) switching.
Yup. It's free to try it this way for a while, and if it doesn't work out, then I'll bite the bullet, pick up some turtles, and leave my Jets for wet diving only.

Some days I really hate ScubaPro...

I am wearing XL jet fins with Rockbook 10. I don't have any issue at all.. Yes, it is a little tight fit to take it off, but it is in a managable degree. I prefer a tight feeling to a loose feeling..

Just my 2 cent.

I go with the Turtles on my Rockboots. My foot slides right in and out plus it is comfortable. My XL Blades weren't even close to fitting.

Hm, I use a size 10 rock boot with my XL jet fins and the fit is ok. The fin is hard to take off, especially the right foot.

I have used boots attached the dry suit and they worked better. However, the size was a 9.

Salaam

Chris

Hey Compudude - thanks for the info on size 10 rockboots - I think I may know why some get them to fit an others do not, I have seen XL Jets vary in size a LOT - some are probably 25% larger even...

I think you did the right thing in taking your fin shopping with you (did you get as many odd looks as I did when I did the same? - lol)

Aloha, Tim

kidspot:
Hey Compudude - thanks for the info on size 10 rockboots - I think I may know why some get them to fit an others do not, I have seen XL Jets vary in size a LOT - some are probably 25% larger even...

I think you did the right thing in taking your fin shopping with you (did you get as many odd looks as I did when I did the same? - lol)

Aloha, Tim
Interesting. No, actually, I didn't have my fins with me. I used the Jet fin that the shop had on display for the first group of pics (size 9 rock boots). The Converse shots, however, I took at home in my own fins. Thanks for the warning!

Anyone using a XXL Jet Fin with a #10 Rock Boot?
I have seen them for sale but have not seen them mentioned here.
Im trying to figure out if its best to go with Turtles or XXL Jets.
Thanks

I had to use an XXL jet fin for my size 11 rockboots.

Compudude (or anyone else), I have a pair of XL jet fins with a (custom fitted by a third part) expanded pocket. The pocket is much bigger, and is theoretically designed so you could use rockboots. However, they just don't work for size 11. I'd be willing to send them over to someone who's interested. Feel free to PM me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom