Jet Fin / Size 10 Rock Boot confirmation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So I'm looking at some DUI rockboots, size 10, and Kidspot's chart says they should fit XL Jets http://www.kidspot.org/personal/scuba/dui.html

That said, it is clearly at the high end of the list, and oddly enough, sizes 7-9 bear comments about how tight the fit is, so I'm having a hard time believing size 10 will actually fit.

Does anyone here in size 9 (a possibility for me, I think, as I wear a 9.5 street shoe, so just less room for insulation) or 10 rockboot actually wear XL Jets SUCCESSFULLY with their rockboots?

I'd REALLY like to avoid having to go to Turtles, but I have this sinking feeling I may have to. Unless perhaps I ditch the rockboots and go to Converse instead.

I can CRAM my size 10 Rockboots into my XL Jets. They feel like the fin is out to far on my foot. I didn't like it at all. Hard to get off too!!

So I use Turtles!! :D

Hope this Helps

I think this question has come up a few times on SB. Size 10 must be a pretty common size. :D

Anyway, I wear a size 10 Rock Boot and own both XL Jets and Turtles. I use the Turtles for diving dry and the Jets for diving wet.

My opinion is that the XL Jets are just not usable with the 10 Rock Boots. The fin pocket barely slips past the toes. Literally, less that 1/3 of the boot can fit into the pocket. It feels like the fin is hanging off the tips of your toes.

The Turtles aren't exactly a perfect fit either. There's quite a bit of slop with a size 10 Rock Boot. To compensate for this, I went with the smallest spring straps I could find. I use size S (8") XS Scuba Universal straps. It takes a little work to get them on an off, but they're nice a snug while diving. Good luck.

Take this for what it's worth. I, too, wear a 9.5 street shoe. I have attached boots on my dry suit, which do not appear to be bigger than rockboots. I could BARELY fit my XL Jets. It was a very tight fit and hurt. That and I had my SS stretched to the max since my foot didn't actually fit all the way into the pocket. Went to Turtles. They're really nearly the same fin (sadly a bit softer that the Jets, but almost as good). Turtles fit perfectly (I cut my SS down to be pretty tight; anyone can do this). Keepting the Jets for when I dive wet (they fit my wetsuit boots just fine). Good luck.

Good to know. So... I think there is a pretty good chance I could fit size 9 rockboots, since they're cut so big to allow for mondo insulation layers. (I don't think I need all that much insulation, as my feet really don't get cold much.) Do size 9 rockboots fit ok in XL Jets? I REALLY don't want to have to buy Turtles unless there is absolutely no other option. Not so much because of the money, but because I then have to schlep two pairs of big bulky fins everywhere I go, if I may want to alternate wet and dry.

Also, I think Converse are cut smaller, and they might stand a better chance of fitting. Ya think? I'm getting the Rockboots as part of my kit anyway, however, so I still want to know about those.

FWIW, attached boots must be very different. The attached boots on my USIA drysuit (which I believe are size 11) fit in my XL Jets, although it can be a little bit of work getting them on and off. (Yes it's a bit too big for me even with many layers of socks, one reason why I'm getting a new drysuit.)

CompuDude:
FWIW, attached boots must be very different. The attached boots on my USIA drysuit (which I believe are size 11) fit in my XL Jets, although it can be a little bit of work getting them on and off. (Yes it's a bit too big for me even with many layers of socks, one reason why I'm getting a new drysuit.)

Hmm, then that means the Rockboots are BIGGER than the attached boots. If we really wear the same street shoe, you're going to have a heck of time getting into the XL jets. The converse option is worth giving a shot. And what's that about taking two pairs of fins (for wet/dry). Trust me, if it's cold enough you might want a dry suit, then you don't want a wetsuit. If it weren't for the occasional spear-fishing, I'd have no need for my 7mm suit.

I once had a Scubapro dry suit w/attached boots and they were very positive. Since, I have gone to DUI and the rock boot (excellent). The rock boot is a size 9 and like everyone else, they only go in about half way on my XL Jets. Usually I wear the rock boots w/my XL Jet Twins (good fit). I was just trying to think of some way to stretch the pocket on my Jets when I found this thread.

I have size 10's in XL Jets, very tight, it seems like it sticks out a little far, but its really not too bad, and with a nice set of spring straps, I find that my fins don't wobble from being too far off, they work perfect in the water.

Rainer:
Hmm, then that means the Rockboots are BIGGER than the attached boots. If we really wear the same street shoe, you're going to have a heck of time getting into the XL jets. The converse option is worth giving a shot. And what's that about taking two pairs of fins (for wet/dry). Trust me, if it's cold enough you might want a dry suit, then you don't want a wetsuit. If it weren't for the occasional spear-fishing, I'd have no need for my 7mm suit.
I'm new to drysuit diving and thus haven't had time to turn into a complete wuss yet. ;-)

(I'm sure I'll get there)

Currently I frequently switch back and forth depending on the temp and how cold I am. For instance if I have a leak in my DS it can make sense to switch to wet rather than dive with wet undergarments. One blown seal (or tear, god forbid) can either ruin an entire trip or just make it a colder trip... if you have a wetsuit handy for a backup plan. Schlepping a second pair of fins makes that option a lot more gear-intensive than it currently is.

For the record, in another recent thread I learned that Size 11 Converse fit XL Jets, albeit just barely (apparently shaving the rubber on the sides helps). I just got back from Sport Chalet, borrowed a rental TLS350 for a few minutes, walked into the show dept., and confirmed that I fit a size 10 wearing my usual thick ThorLo's AND the drysuit sock. So I picked up a 10.5 to give myself a smidge more breathing room, allow another layer if needed, and still be under the size 11 cutoff for XL Jets.

At this point, it's mostly wondering if I'll actually ever be able to do anything with the Rockboots that are going to be coming with my new drysuit. :)

While I was at the store, I also tried on a size 9 Rockboot with the same thick Thor-Lo's and the suit's sock, and while it was tight (esp since there is extra material on the large-ish sock compared to my small feet), I did indeed fit the size 9 rockboot. I think spending a little more time playing with it, it would have been comfortable enough to dive. But I think what I'll do is get the size 10 rockboots so I have something if I ever want to put on some super thick insulation for ice diving or something. I just won't be able to use them with my XL Jets... but I'll have the Converse for that.

Back
Top Bottom