"Jennie R. Dubois" FYI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

munromh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
A presentation on the identification of the shipwreck Jennie R. Dubois
From the Power Squadron Website about the presentation:​

Thursday, 14 May, 1830 (6:30 p.m.), the Edward Smith Library, located at the corner of Routes 17 & 22 in Northford. Join Mark Munro as he discusses the recently discovered secrets of the five-masted coasting schooner Jennie R. Dubois. Please be prompt as this event is open to the public and seating is limited to 50 people.

On 11 February, 1902, in West Mystic, Connecticut, the largest coasting schooner built outside of the Maine shipyards slid down the ways of the Holmes Shipbuilding Company. Nineteen months later the Jennie R. Dubois, sunk in a collision with the Steamship Schoenfels, was resting on the sandy bottom southeast of Block Island, Rhode Island. Once cleared as a menace to navigation, the Dubois was lost to history and her location remained unknown to local divers and historians.

Sound Underwater Survey and the Baccala Wreck Divers began their search for this elusive schooner on 7 September, 2002. Five years later after surveying seventeen square miles of ocean, the team finally met with success. Through extensive exploratory dives and archival research the group was able to unlock the secrets of the Jennie R. Dubois' final moments and why many previous search teams were unsuccessful in locating the wreck of this historic schooner.

Since 1988, Mark Munro has been actively diving on or searching for New England Shipwreck. Instilled with a passion for discovering previously unknown shipwrecks, he has sought out and located many using Side Scan Sonar and Magnetometers. Sonograms of shipwrecks acquired by Mark have been published in Underwater magazine and Gary Gentile's book Shipwrecks of Rhode Island and Connecticut.

Bummer, I've really been wanting to catch your talk on this but every time you do it I have a way of missing it.

This time it happens I am on a research vessel on a cruise out of Sweden (I am actually typing this in the ship's lounge on the ships WiFi network with my own laptop.... ahh technology!!!!)

I just wish I had dive gear with me because the coastline along the Skaggerak looks like it would have been great diving, the coast in that area resembles Maine quite a bit!

Well Chris I'll give you another chance to make it up to me :D

Hows June 25th, 6pm, at the Janet Carlson Calvert Library in Franklin Connecticut sound. With any luck you'll be doing a NOAA dive survey in Truk that week ..... :wink:

No dive surveys in Truk, but I am getting married June 21st so looks like I will miss that one too! :D

"No dive surveys in Truk"

We were doing that exactly one year to the day before your planned Nuptials!
Ted Hayes is getting married the day before you. Adventurer splashes tomorrow or Friday so we need to make a day for you guys to meet, and dive an "esoteric" wreck, perhaps!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom