jellyfish in coz next week?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
might be heading down to coz next week - i had heard that jellyfish season is during the summer - what are the chances of encountering jellyfish while diving/snorkelling?

also - what are water temps this time of year?

any other seasonal information i should know?

thanks.

Thimble jelly season is actually March through June or July. There are small random species of jellyfish in the water always, but nothing to worry about...you can barely even see them and often won't feel them. We don't have the big jellyfish with long tentacles either. If you do get stung, you may have a little spot of irritation for an hour or so. Usually aplying a little vinegar will take the sting out if you even feel it.

Water temps are 84 degrees right now and the surface temps are in the mid 80's.

This is traditionally our rainiest time of year, but the weather has been really beautiful during the days. It has been raining almost every night in the wee hours, but by the time the dive boats go out, seas are flat and the skies are blue!

Have a great trip and don't worry about the jellyfish!

I can tell you that I experienced some minor jellyfish stings when I was there late Aug. All of a sudden coming up from a dive I felt annoying little stings on my back. I was at my safety stop and noticed a few baby jellyfish swimming around. Kind of cool to see, but I couldn't wait to get my BC off. By the way, I wasn't wearing an exposure suit, which might have prevented this.
It was nothing painful, just annoying.

Have only experienced thimble jellyfish in march and april,by the thousands!!You should'nt have a problem this late in the year,around this time,the weather is good and the water is calm,and 80-85 degrees.Have a blast!!!!

Scuba Steve

:mean: :mean:

scubasteve27 once bubbled...
Have only experienced thimble jellyfish in march and april,by the thousands!!You should'nt have a problem this late in the year,around this time,the weather is good and the water is calm,and 80-85 degrees.Have a blast!!!!

I have seen swarms of thimble jellies there in May, June , and July.

and couldn't even see what was stinging me--it happened during my SS and my hands just started burning. I'm thinking it may have been the eggs or something--there was so much particulate in the water it was hard to tell. I've also been stung in April and May down there but not in August or October.

Can't speak for the rest of the months, but I know in general that the main jellyfish season goes from about March until the end of June or sometimes into July.

Back
Top Bottom