Jellies May 2004: How Concerned Should I be?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdesola

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in Cozumel in early May. I've heard from a few dive shops that the thimble or cork jelly fish have recently washed in in large numbers.

A number of of my group intends to snorkel.

1) Is this a very bad idea?
2) Are there usually areas that are less infested than others...is this a "weather report" sort of thing--e.g; they're on the south side of the island today, go to the north?
3) Are there reasonable measures snorkelers can take--skins, oils, hoods, gloves that can assure a safe and fun experience, or is is more often the case that if they are in the water you really don't want to be?

Please share your experiences, particularly if you've been there recently or are there now.

Thanks!

-David

dtdesola:
I'll be in Cozumel in early May. I've heard from a few dive shops that the thimble or cork jelly fish have recently washed in in large numbers.

2) Are there usually areas that are less infested than others...is this a "weather report" sort of thing--e.g; they're on the south side of the island today, go to the north?
3) Are there reasonable measures snorkelers can take--skins, oils, hoods, gloves that can assure a safe and fun experience, or is is more often the case that if they are in the water you really don't want to be?

Please share your experiences, particularly if you've been there recently or are there now.

Thanks!

-David

David,

The jellies are really not that predictable. So far they have only been concentrated in a few areas, and it has seemed like a light season for them; however, they could still spread out and multiply so to speak.

Skins and hoods are a very good idea for exposure protections for both divers and snorkelers.

The reefs are part of a protected marine park, so oils are prohibited.

Most likely, you snorkel guide and boat captain will keep you out of them. If you are snorkeling from the shore, you won't encounter them as much.

Have a good time.

dtdesola:

Thanks!

-David

I go to Cozumel every year at about this time (19 days and counting!) and there are usually lots of thimble jellies around the southern dive sites, but for some reason they don't usually show up off the central part of the island. They usually are within a few inches of the surface, and they are dark reddish brown, so you can easily spot them if they are around.

FWIW, I have ascended and descended through swarms of them many times and have yet to be stung, but I can see that they would potentially be more of a prob for snorkelers.

Cheap & easy to take a skin....tho that jelly sting isn't horrible....could be a bit uncomfortable. Llike tha man says...not predictible.

The following thread was already running on the forum at the time you posted your inquiry---->

http://www.scubaboard.com/t53721.html

It covers protective measures in quite some detail.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

DocVikingo:
The following thread was already running on the forum at the time you posted your inquiry---->

http://www.scubaboard.com/t53721.html

It covers protective measures in quite some detail.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Thanks Doc, I've read lot's of your posts. You are a tremendous resource to this site! I've ordered dive skins to aid in protecting my friends and family as well as the Sea Safe sun tan lotion. I was told by my LDS that hoods would not be necessary. Hopefully this and some care in selecting dive sites will allow us to have a great time despite the prevalance of these critters in the water.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom