JBL XHD trigger/banding question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoAnywherePhoto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok, so I'm eyeing up a new JBL gun at the shop, it is a JBL Magnum 450 and I've got a question.

I know that the Magnum XHDs are supposed to have a special carbide-tipped trigger mechanism and the ones I see at the shop have an X stamped into the side of the trigger.

The Magnum 450 I'm looking at also has the X stamped on the side of the trigger.

Unfortunately, the JBL site is pittifully uninformational and has no descriptions of any of the products beyond some very bare-bones specs. They don't even have a phone number and I really don't want to sit around and wait on an e-mail.

Product descriptions from several online sellers list the carbide-tipped trigger mech as a feature on the XHD, but not the regular Magnum guns.

So, my questions are:

Does the X on the trigger actually indicate the heavier duty carbide-tipped trigger mech?

Is the carbide trigger standard on the regular Magnum guns and just not advertised or could it be that the trigger mech on this gun got swapped out?

One of the reasons I'm trying to find this out is that this gun comes with only 1/2" bands which is kind of weak and I would like to bump up the bands to at least 9/16" which should be OK with my moderate use as long as the trigger will support it. I may also take advantage of the modular nature of the JBLs to go with the heavier tube and perhaps an aftermarket muzzle to strengthen/customize it more.

Before I get a bunch of responses telling me "Why not just buy the 450 XHD?" or "I use ABB, SS, Riffe, etc - you should get that instead." let me explain.

I am located somewhere near the middle of nowhere. The shop here is great and has a good selection of guns, but they do not have a 450XHD in stock and would take too long to get one here.

Thanks for the help!

Ok, well either way I am off to 'pull the trigger' on this purchase, I'll post here if I can get any more answers at the dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom