Jay Riffe – Dive Equipment Manufacturer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnoly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
At 82, Jay Riffe of Riffe International has passed away At ten years of age, JAY RIFFE started spearfishing off the Southern California Coast with a hand spear. At fifteen he was spearfishing competitively, and by age twenty-two became the Pacific Coast Champion. He said “Be Selective, Fish for the Future “.

Riffe International has over 40 year's of dive equipment manufacturing and was a pioneer at the time of many innovations. They were at the DEMA shows for many years and well known through out the dive shops providing fins, masks, wetsuits, bags, and all types of harvesting gear.

JayRiffe.jpg

The last member of the Rife tribe John , Jim and now JAY....

A dear friend for many many years , fellow Long Beach Neptune Spear Fishing Club member

Most sincere condolences to his wife Jackie daughter Julie and all the rest of his fine family

The beginning of the end of an era which will never be experienced again upon this earth

Via Con Dios Mi amigo con arpon ,,

Sam Miller, III

The shock of Jays passing has some what subsided....

I just glanced at the historical spears resting against the wall of my den ,, two are my very rare Bottom Scratcher guns,....one had a huge 6 inch Riffes reel with the trigger activated release installed in 1962 - 58 years ago
A silent testimony to a great diver and innovator

The Fathers of free diving and spear fishing are dwindling to a precious few - all too soon none !
SDM

A dear friend for many many years , fellow Long Beach Neptune Spear Fishing Club member
upload_2020-5-12_7-31-1.png

This patch is on display at James & Joseph Spearfishing Supplies in Solana Beach, California.
I never had the pleasure of meeting him but admired his skills as a young teenager reading Skin Diver Magazine.

I didn't know the man but used his gear. Top quality. And quality service, carried on by his daughters.
Rest In Peace.

upload_2020-5-12_7-31-1-png.585761.png

LONG BEACH NEPUNES PATCH
Can only be eared - never purchased

I have been a member since 1957-63 years - most in the retired status but still wear my jacket from the Long Beach Neptunes with dignity and pride
Son Sam IV was also a member and is now in the retired status for 25 years also wear his Long Beach Neptunes jacket with dignity and pride .

It represents an activity of a precious few adventuresome young people in a by gone era that will never be experience again and is slowly fading away

SDM 111

Jay Riffe was a lifeguard with my dive buddy Jack Likens in the early 1960s in Laguna Beach, CA. RIP.

The following was sent to me by Jack which was sent to him by Jay’s family.

“Once a Laguna Lifeguard, Always a Laguna Lifeguard”—
Captain Rod Riehl —
In Memoriam, Jay Riffe

Jay Riffe started his long and distinguished ocean-related career as a Laguna Beach Lifeguard in the late 1950s, where he was stationed for several years at Wood’s Cove.

Jay’s diving skills and ability soon earned him a place in the community of competitive spearfishing, where the lack of good equipment led him to experiment with and then create his own refined, powerful, and highly sophisticated combination wood/stainless steel multi-band spearguns. Demand led to Jay’s starting a successful business located for over 50 years in San Clemente.

Jay Riffe was to the world of spearfishing what Samuel Colt had been to the development of firearms. Jay’s spearguns, among the community of dedicated competitive spearfishermen, are as revered as Holland and Holland rifles are to African big game hunters, remaining the gold-standard in competitive and sport spearfishing.

Jay was an active member, and president of the exclusive Long Beach Neptune’s Spearfishing Club.

Jay is survived by his wife, Jackie, and daughters Julie and Jill.

wFJ4mR.jpg

This photo was taken in 1960. Upper left is Dean Westgaard.

RIP -- sincerest condolences to his family; and, without doubt, to his legions of friends.

Growing up, I rarely knew anyone without Riffe guns, even well-worn hand-me-downs; or else, the many who scrimped and saved for that great gear as I did . . .

Here is a video of jay's life...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom