Japanese residents: Dive insurance

Japanese residents: who is your diving insurance with?

• No dive insurance

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • PADI Japan

• PADI other

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DAN Japan

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • DAN Europe

• DAU USA

• DAN Asia Pacific

• NAUI / AIU

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do bear in mind that DAN (at least DAN Europe) don't offer equipment insurance - it's health only. But I am in the market for some dive gear insurance too. Even if you only dive once a month, I would say insurance is definately worth it. It's a hell of a lot cheaper should a worst case scenario happen and you have to have an intensive treatment over a period of months in the chamber.

What nationality are you? That might help us a little more in working out which insurer is best for you.

And let me know when you're back on Okinawa honto. We should try and get some ALTs out on a diving excursion!

Wait, are you that Dave, the Dave that sets us ALT's up with lessons and stuff? I'm from the States, Portland, Oregon. I got a whole Mares set-up a couple of months ago and would hate to replace it for any reason. I simply wouldn't be able to. Here in Miyako, the guides don't really take us on anything technical and Toori Ike is not on my list of things (after I get Adv certified I'll check it out).

Well I'm Diving Dave, who's only usually seen at the Mid-Year Conference, at his school or in the water somewhere! I am definately thinking about getting some equipment insurance, but I'm not too sure who with. This is especially the case because I almost had a flooded underwater camera housing last week (just caught it going through my checklist at the surface).

If you wanna do the Advanced Open Water course, then let me know when you're coming back to mainland Okinawa. I'm sure I can do a good deal for an islander :wink:

As for the insurance, you might have to rely on DAN Japan. But let's see who the other US citizens here in Japan get their insurance through.

Well I signed up for DAN Japan,

I wanted to wait on a reply from DAN USA on why they have different rules for different folks, but nothing yet. And I didn't want to go any longer with nothing!

But since my wife and I need to look at other general insurance as well, we might look for some kind of family plan that also covers diving stuff.... but in the mean time at least I have something.

A wise choice in getting some insurance methinks:)

Instructors - who do you get your liability insurance from? Do DAN Japan do a good deal on that too? I'm happy with DAN Europe but am always looking out for cheaper prices and better coverage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom