Japanese Local Knowledge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,

There is a lack of English information on Japan thus I am posting some Izu dive maps found in The Internet.

Dive Japan: Maps of Japan - Diving Destinations

In addition to diving services written above website, JUE is actively operating.

:: Japan Underwater Explorers :: Tokyo, Izu, Kobe, Kansai, Hiroshima..

I know I am replying to an old thread but trying to improve English information about diving spots in Japan again. The above links are broken and outdated.

Some more current resources include the excellent blog of Bonnie
https://bonniewaycott.wordpress.com/

and someone made an effort to document quite some Japanese sites including the Izu peninsula on the Diveadvisor map
A Directory of Dive Sites for Scuba Diving in Japan | Dive Advisor

Diveadvisor looks cool and I would encourage people to add sites that are not already listed there. The PADI Japan website maybe is more extensive but only in Japanese (?????????????)

Cheers,
Ben

Hi, it looks like there is a lot of local knowledge on diving in Japan here, and thanks for the data! I will need more time to dig into all that.

But in the meantime, some of us have been trying to build a dive calendar of SEA, showing where to dive when, and there have been some interest shown to add Japan to that document. You can find the thread discussing this subject here.

I will try to transfer little by little the information here in our calendar if that's fine with you, but if some of you would like to help us and participate, you are welcome! I'm inviting you to post in the thread mentionned above if you have any advice/input for us, or you can PM with your email if you want editing access to the Google document.

There's also the island of Yonugini to dive the Yonuguni Monument, the underwater temples no one can explain. It Winter time you can dive with schools of hammerheads. On my to do list next year

I also have an interest in diving Japanese waters. In the past I've worked with several groups of Japanese scientists and underwater filmmakers. Much as I love warm water, I'd like to also dive where I can film native Sargassum horneri beds. This algal species has become a very aggressive exotic in the waters of southern California and it would be good to gather footage of it in its native geographical range along with the critters that use it for food, shelter, etc.

I'll be in Fukuoka for February thorough end of March. Any recent reports on diving there? I won't have any of my gear so unfortunately everything needs to be rented. Looking to get a group of coworkers to come along too.

Back
Top Bottom