Jan. 2, 2009 Willis Point (Saanich Inlet) photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoy diving the Inlet but it definitely doesn't have the abundance of sea life as other area around here, there is not enough current in the inlet to carry all the nutriment needed for that.
As a technical/CCR diver I have always enjoy the deep wall dive that the Saanich Inlet provide.

Here my top 5 inlet dive in no order.

Xmas Pt boat dive some sponges between 100 to 200ft, the wall get better and better as you go the right facing the shore it drop from 30ft right down 220ft.
McCurdy PT some sponge and deep wall between 100ft to 220ft (and deeper) also a boat dive.
Willis Pt easy to get to and the wall is pretty nice, I dove here over 150 times and still find new area to explore, I have made it to the end of the wall to the left after 55 minutes of swimming.
Mackenzie Bight a little more of a walk to the water but it worth it, nice wall more life here than Willis in less that 50ft.
Senanus Island the number a Cloud Sponges here is amazing, even if there is area in the inlet that have more sponges it is the easiest one to get too.

If you have the chance Lynne make sure you do a dive at Ten Mile Pt, it has the best sea life in Victoria and you do not have to pay for a Charter.

Cheers

Al

A couple of us from the Puget Sound, WA came up there late last year and hit Willis Point, Christmas Point, Misery Bay, and Mackenzie Bight and they were some of the most enjoyable dives I've ever had. My buddy and I were just discussing heading back up there specifically for those dives again. A different variety of rockfish and sponges than we typically get to see, 100'+ vis and really cool walls made it a blast. I can't wait to get back up there again. Thanks for sharing the pictures. Now I really want to head back!

Thanks for the warning . . . Since my only Canadian dive experience was out of Nanaimo, I confess I had envisioned walls covered with invertebrates, as we saw there. But dramatic topography and cloud sponges will do, and seeing Tiger or China rockfish would make the trip exciting for me.

You won't see China Rockfish around Victoria or Nanaimo. They seem to be found more on the west coast or north of Campbell River. I have seen them in Port Hardy and at Stubbs Island which is near Port McNeil.
They also have the amazing basket star up there

Back
Top Bottom