Jamaica Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwhities

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My family and I are planning to go on a week vacation some where and Jamaica came up as a possible all inclusive resort stay.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any dive ops in the Negril area. The hotels they've found there seem to be 3.5 star or better and it's seems ideal on the 7mile long beach.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me some feed back on this location.

Michael

My family and I are planning to go on a week vacation some where and Jamaica came up as a possible all inclusive resort stay.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any dive ops in the Negril area. The hotels they've found there seem to be 3.5 star or better and it's seems ideal on the 7mile long beach.

I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone can give me some feed back on this location.

Michael

there is lots of discussion about the diving on Jamaica on Scubaboard. Do a search and you will get your answers.

Like this one started a few days ago:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/new-divers-those-considering-diving/226931-jamaica-cozumel.html

Hey Michael, we're going to couple's in Dec. I found some good info, if search Negril on this board, I was glad too hear some good reviews as I had always hear the diving there was not so good. When were yall going.

Hi. We were at Beaches Sandy Bay in Negril in February this year. They share their dive ops with Beaches Negril. The boat is huge and fast. The first dive of the day was actually pretty good. Once you demonstrated you knew what you were doing, they were more willing to go to the deeper sites (deep plane, for example). I had a fun drift dive there--the current was significant. Generally on the first dive of the day, there were just more experienced divers, so that made it more fun. The second dive of the day there were resort divers and classes, so the dive was 30-40 feet, There were few big fish in Jamaica, but many smaller ones. I was pleasantly surprised with the diving there. I would not go to Jamaica to specifically dive, but it is nice enough to do some diving while you are there. The beaches dive ops were strict in limiting you to 30 min of bottom time, which I wasn't thrilled about, but it's not as bad as it seems, especially if diving is included in your package (at beaches it is)--I was going to arrange diving off resort, but then decided against it since on the first dive of the day we wound up hitting all the places I wanted to do anyway. I liked the beach in Negril a lot--very pretty. I didn't get up to the cliff area--we got to the town on the beach side, which wasn't much, unfortunately--maybe the town is better up the cliffs? There just wasn't much of a town on the beach side-I think because there are so many all inclusives there. For a family vacation with some diving on the side, Jamaica is fantastic.

If you are looking for a place just for the diving you might pick someplace else. If you want other activities and experience other cultures, Jamaica is a good option. As an example, in Negril they do not have currents to speak of, and being on the leeward side do not get much wind. I have been on dive specific trips where we were only able to dive a couple of days because of the wind. I believe it is better to dive in Negril than almost dive someplace else.

Here are a couple of links to Negril independent dive operators.

http://www.negrilscuba.com/

SUNDIVERS NEGRIL JAMAICA

Here is a photo I took of the deep plane referred to in another response.
http://www.scubaonetravel.com/images/NegrilDeepPlane1L.jpg

Sucba One Travel - Negril Jamaica Underwater photos

My family is taking us to Jamaica in May... so I am curious as well. My wife and I are the only divers... so they picked a sandals resort that would accommodate them as much as my fathers need for a beach and golf.

My question... does anyone recommend an exposure suit for diving in Jamaica in May?

It would only be two divers out of 20+- people going. So a few dives a day would be all I'd need. I appreciate the suggestions and I'll look through the sites posted.

Thanks,

Michael

SunDivers Negril is a good outfit. Myron and Emilee run this and are really nice people, and very safe. They are at the western tip of the Negril beach at Point Village resort. I think they will pick up and return you to your resort.

My question... does anyone recommend an exposure suit for diving in Jamaica in May?

No, you don't really need a wet suit diving in Jamaica. Year round the water temp flucuates between 81 and 84 degrees F at depth. I would however suggest a skin (or at most a 3mm if you are cold diving) for skin protection. Most tourists dive in a swimsuit and t shirt.

Temps in May will be 82-83F so no warmth is needed, but a skin for general protection might be a good idea. I see plenty of people dive in shorts and t-shirt, and even saw a couple dive nekkid! :11:

Mother's Day to Father's Day you will see lots of small (walnut-sized) thimble jellyfish near the surface. Don't worry, these are not stinging jellyfish but it can be surprising to see all the little dudes within 5 feet of the surface. The first time some people notice these they will freak out, but it's no problem. People with sensitive skin might get a some tiny bumps they think are from "sea lice" but rinsing well in fresh water once back on land will usually prevent any outbreak. Wearing a protective t-shirt, nylon skin or rashguard can help, but be sure to rinse it in fresh water upon returning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom