Jaguar Reef Lodge Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie Halka

Reaction score
We are a family of 3 (2 divers) who've logged 25+ dives. Looking for any reviews of Jaguar Reef Lodge in Belize - the website looks inviting. We plan to travel in late June/early July. Appreciate comments re: both the accommodations as well as the diving (also other activities).

Marie- I just returned from 7 weks in Belize. While kayaking one of the rivers there, we stopped at their river-side facility (Iguana Lodge?). Several from our group went to see the main lodge and said it was very nice. They were not divers though.

Based on the location (mainland and adjacent to a river), I assume any diving must be done on the barrier reef which is a boat ride away from the lodge itself. You might check into how long that trip takes.

One of our group was Belize's first certified female instructor and she knew folks who worked there and indicated they were pretty competent as DM's.

Enjoy Belize... it's an interesting country.

Dr. Bill

Marie Halka:
We are a family of 3 (2 divers) who've logged 25+ dives. Looking for any reviews of Jaguar Reef Lodge in Belize - the website looks inviting. We plan to travel in late June/early July. Appreciate comments re: both the accommodations as well as the diving (also other activities).

If you are planning on primarily diving during your trip, I would highly reccomend staying on one of the cayes or atolls out on the reef. That way you avoid a long boat ride every day to go dive. Ambergris Caye is nice and there are a ton of nice and reasonably priced places there (I just got back from the banana beach resort there). There are also places further south along the reef that you may want to check out as well but you will be a lot more isolated without a town or many other resorts nearby.

Marie Halka:

While staying at Jaguar Reef, my two sons and I took a half day dive trip. In spite of rough seas, we had a splendid time. The husband and wife team (Martin & Janelle I believe)were pleasant and safety conscious. They specialize in smaller groups, like yours. As a father and former working diver I recommend them as long as you are not looking for a hardcore dive trip as done on the live on board ships and atoll resorts. They do not do Nitrox if that is an issue. Contact Jag Reef Resort and ask for the website for the dive outfitter, I can't recall the name.

As far as the resort itself is concerned, my sons and I had a great time, my wife so so (not her type of vacation). The food was good and plenty. The mosquitos, good and plenty. Bottom line, I'd go back.

You'll enjoy Belize. There's lot's of adventure tours for the diver and non-diver. I have had good luck with a small B&B type resort in Placencia called The Nautical Inn. They offer diving, fishing, Monkey River tour, Mayan ruins and more. It's really quiet there, not the place if you're looking for action at night.

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom