Jacob's Well

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cudabait

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Anyone remember diving in Jacob's well? The last time I dove in that place two guys showed up with rented gear. They did not know anything about diving and obviously were not certified.

My wife and I watched with interest as they donned the gear and proceded to go down into the opening. We continued to watch and the longer we watched, the harder the air bubbles boiled up out of the opening. I commented to my wife that they were in trouble.

A few seconds later one of the divers skyrocketed out of the water, mucho panicked. He was crying and said everything went dark down there and he didn't know where his friend was.

The water continued to boil so I assumed he was still on his regulator. I felt helpless because, under the circumstances, there was little I could do. The two guys had brought the vis down to zero and I did not have any kind of rescue equipment. Only one small light. I had just asked the diver to get out of his gear and go for help when the other guy skyrocketed up out of the boiling water. He was also panicked, luckily, not as much as the first.

From what I can remember about the place, which is a almost verticle hole in a creek bed, is that it goes (went) down to about 80 feet and then anged off to a small hole (crawlthrough) which opened up into a larger chamber. On that day, I had been to a point where I could see the opening to the chamber. I had removed my fins because I was aware of the silting problem in the hole (well). Also, on ascent, there are some false exits which were not too deep and under limited vis it was easy for someone to swim up into them.

After the guy settled down he was able to explain that that is what happened to him.

This was in the early 1960's. I've heard that a number of divers have since died in Jacob's Well. Further I heard that the entrance to the chamber was initially sealed off, and then later the whole place was closed off.

I have not been back to the place since and was curious if that particular creek bed is still wet, (it was spring fed) and what ever happened to Jacob's Well. As far as I know, the lucky divers only experienced injury to their pride.

Someone should certainly have more recent info than I. Thanks for you posts.

I've never heard of Jacob's Well. Where is it located?

Dee,
Jacob's well is near San Marcos. You can get a lot of info from San Marcos Area Recovery Team's (SMART) Web site. They pretty much have the franchise for diving there.

Larry

Jacob's Well is actually outside Wimberly, Texas. It is not a place to dive, folks. I have lost one friend in there and almost lost another, who had gone in to pull out two dead divers.
A friend, who is a professional cave diver, told me that it is a dangerous place to dive. I can confirm that from personal experience.
Steve Harrigan wrote a fictional book called Jacob's Well. The characters and story are fictional, but there is alot of accuracy as far as the well itself. There is a fairly accurate drawing of the well on the front cover. The Copyright is 1984.
The last time I had heard anything, diving the well was prohibited and some divers have been arrested for trespassing onto the property. There are several houses nearby whose owners would contact the sheriff's office. I do not know the status of it now, but would not consider going back.

Thanks for the posts. Like I said, ithas been a long time since I dove at that place. It was dangerous then and certainly has not changed.

I know a number of divers have died in the place over the years. I hope the interesting posts continue. Also, I also had heard that the place had been closed down to diving, which is probably for the better.

Daylight'

Thanks for the pathway to SMART. Good site and very informative. Brought back a lot of old memories. Thanks again!!

this looks like a good place for a party on land. Definitely not a place to dive.

Is this be the same place we called "The Blue Hole"? Had a big tree for jumpin out of, ropes to swing from, and water that was,well.....cold enough to turn ya blue.

Nevermind.......looked at Tonys link.....aint the same place....

Back
Top Bottom