Jackson Blue silt out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Belmont

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I heard a rumor that an instructor panicked deep inside Jackson Blue during a silt out caused by one of his student and left the cave, leaving his students alone.

They found their way out and were already outside when the instructor came back with help.

Any truth to this story??

The story I heard was that there was a silt-out during the class relatively close to the entrance. The instructor went out for help, and another very well known and accomplished instructor went in, found the students, and brought them out.

I don't know if we are talking about the same incident, and I have not named names because I believe we should be very careful about spreading rumors without very reliable information.

Is'nt Jackson Blue a high flow cave.

What is the SOP from the different agencies on that kind of situation concerning an instructor with students?

Jackson Blue is normally a pretty high flow cave. When I dived it a few weeks ago (just after the incident I described, it was not flowing much. Like many high flow caves, it has jumps that go into low flow areas. The incident I described reportedly happened in such an area.

Edd Sorenson saved the life of two of another instructors students.

When Things Go Wrong

Is'nt Jackson Blue a high flow cave.

A few weeks ago you couldn't see daylight ten feet from the entrance. Viz was allegedly 2-3ft to at least 1,000 ft back.

Just because a system is typically high flow, doesn't mean it's always high flow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom