Jackets or wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Halcyon have a 'Fair Trade Policy' and so you may find it hard to find anything cheaper than their list price. :(

Dorset divers will use the halcyon price list which you can get from Halcyons website under products.
They simply convert to sterling and then add on vat.

Then you just pay for delivery.

I understand that they are getting a delivery during January. I wanted mine in December and so ordered it from the states.

If you buy the full MC kit you get a pretty good deal although it is more expensive than OMS stuff (you can get an 45lb oms wing without bungees and a short inflator hose as per DIR from Divers Warehouse) but this wouldn't be suitable for single tank diving.

The Pioneer 36lb is recommended for dry suits in the UK so the 27lb may be too small for use other than wetsuits on holiday.

I'd get the SS backplate. The aluminium one weighs less but therefore you'll need more around your waist which may not help your trim. Carrying your regs in your hand luggage gives you plenty of space for the 20kg limit

DIR centre in the UK. There isn't one really. There are some GUE instructors in the UK and on their website they say they no longer have time to teach. You can undertake training with Dorset divers on TDI courses which incorporate DIR. Details on www.dis-uk.org. Hopefully they'll organise some DIR F courses in the near future as some guys (JJ and AG) from GUE are visiting during LIDS in March. Dorset Divers will be the official distributor in the UK in the near future

Hope that helps

Hi

Yep, did that and made my own harness too. I think the backplate is actually better being 316 grade as opposed to 304 grade for the Halcyon and its only £40 (inc delivery)

Trouble is that the Pioneer wings don't fit the holes and so you'll need an STA.

The MC storage pack sort of fits on four of the holes but its not a perfect fit.

The finish is nowhere near as good as the Halcyon and if you buy the Halcyon bits seperate it costs you as much if not more.

I now have a spare backplate and top quality home made DIR harness ideal for twin sets. Any takers ?

Wetlettuce

Suspicions was probably the wrong word. you said

"Also, the quality of the Halcyon gear puts the rest to shame really. The harness is perfect, the BP has a fantastic finish with the right type Drings and in the water its great.

Best diving equipment I've ever bought and the little extra i paid has all been forgotten."

I'm lucky enough to ba able to afford what I want and I'm going to get this stuff !!!

I hear what you say about the SS rather than ali.

I wonder if its possible to use the BP and harness like a rucksack frame, mount a bag on it and carry it on as hand luggage !

Connor

See Wetlettuce's bit about pricing. I haven't found anyone who will discount the stuff significantly. If I can't my friend to bring the stuff persaonlly from the states I'm going to swallow my pride and buy from Dorest Divers. Its not that I begrudge them the money its just that I don't want to pay HMG 17.5% VAT !

Ian

Back
Top Bottom