Jackets or wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH

Registered
Reaction score
I've been diving now for 10 years, only on holiday and always with hired kit.

This year I'm taking the plunge and buying my own. I only intend to dive in warm water (off to Bora Bora in May, probably Florida in September). I don't have a budget issue; I'm lucky enough to be able to buy whatever I want.

I'm 6 foot and slightly overweight. Last year (Grenada) I needed 12lb to keep me down in a 5mm(I think) shorty with a 12ltr ali tank.

At the risk of starting another "BP's are best" "oh no they aren't" argument have I got the relative strengths and weaknesses of wings about right ?

Strength's
Plenty of freedom of movement
You need less weight because of the back-plate
More streamlined
Tank is held firmly and doesn’t flop about
Easier to upgrade to two tanks
Favoured by cave divers and technical divers

Weaknesses
Some people find them uncomfortable in thin wetsuits (webbing chaffs)
Some people don't like the crutch strap (although some people don't use them)
They are a bit more difficult to set up but probably give a better dive attitude
Some people find they are tipped forwards at the surface (although if set up right this may be avoidable)
They don't have pockets like a jacket
The back-plate makes them heavier to transport

Is that it ? If so I think I’m persuaded on the grounds that it seems to me that set up is everything and I’m prepared to put in the time and effort to get it right. Although I have to say I’m going to try before I buy.

Question: Given the fact that this is a holiday “thing” wouldn’t I be better off with an Ali BP instead of SS ? What effect would a 5mm full wetsuit make to that ?
Question: Anyone used a “Custom Divers TBK Sports”

Thank you

Ian

It looks like the Halcyon gets a big thumbs up on this site. It doesn't look esay to obtain in UK.

But assuming I buy a Pioneer 27lb with ali BP; does anyone have any idea how much wieght I would need to carry ? 5mm full wet suit, hieght 6 foot weight about 200lbs , single 12L ali tank ?

Thank you

Ian

Have you considered some of the 'softpack' wings like the Dive Rite Transpac II?

I originally started diving with a traditional jacket BC. It soon became obvious that I my diving needs were going to outgrow the abilities of my jacket, and I looked into alternatives.

I settled on the Transpac II with the dual rec wings, and I have used them successfully for a variety of types of diving since.

For the record, I do own a backplate and I have heard all of the arguments regarding failure points, etc. with the TPII vs the backplate.

One of the things I liked about the TPII originally was all the buckles and adjustments, as it made it easier for me to transition to it from the jacket and get the fit right.

Now that I am accustomed to a harness style rig, the BP poses no problems to me, tho it might seem a bit much for someone not used to the idea.

The downsides to the TPII is that it is going to be more expensive than you can get a backplate for, and if you damage the harness, it is more expensive to replace the straps than just buying some new webbing like for a BP. However, with reasonable care that should never be a problem.

One of the upsides to it, is that you can get the 'belly pouch' for it or use the optional integrated weight pockets if you have a desperate need to carry 'stuff'. Thigh pockets that strap on to it are also available.

Oh, and if you ever decide to switch over to a standard backplate, you can still use the diverite wings with it.

Halcyon makes some great stuff, but if you are doing purely recreational diving, not sure if it is worth the cost and hassle of trying to locate it in the UK.

Ian,

you are correct on the strengths/ weaknesses of the 2 systems. For travel, you may want to consider the aluminum backplate for weight considerations, most steel plates are approx. 12 pounds. Don't bother with the ABS plastic backplates, they break far too easily ( especially giventhe way airlines treat bags!).

Personally , i am not fond of the Transpac soft style harness that Cave Diver recommended, I owned one, and found that because it lacks a hard backplate, I expereinced the same difficulties with it that you have with a jacket style BC re:tanks flopping around.

Good call on trying before you buy. Good luck.

chickdiver once bubbled...
Personally , i am not fond of the Transpac soft style harness that Cave Diver recommended, I owned one, and found that because it lacks a hard backplate, I expereinced the same difficulties with it that you have with a jacket style BC re:tanks flopping around.

Good call on trying before you buy. Good luck.

That is interesting to note. I have seen a few other people post about the same problem, but have not really experienced that myself with the TPII.

It did take me a while to get all of the straps and harnesses adjusted where I like them, but once I did I have very little movement out of mine.

Perhaps that is because I have the only one that I have seen that has both the velcro sport cumberband and the regular nylon webbing over that?

Thank you Cave Diver and Chickdiver

I had considered the TransPac but discounted it becuase of its light weight v the intrinsic weight of a BP. I want to try and get away with carrying as little extra weight as possible (although transporting the kit by airplane means I don't want to go to the extreme of an SS BP)

Cave Diver - how much weight do you carry ? What tanks etc

Also (in your experience) is the Transpac rock steady with a single tank ? and can you use the dual rec wings for a single tank ?

Chickdiver - In your opinion is it the tank/BP interface or the harness itself that causes the feeling of "tank flop"

Thank you

Ian

i used the TPII with doubles, never with a single tank, I am not really sure what caused the "flop", but i suspect it could have been size. I am 5'3" tall, and have found that most dive gear (esp. anything "adjustable" doesnt do well on the smaller end of the spectrum. I know that isn't much help, but...... :)

I really like the BP/ Harness setup, and have for many years now (going on 7 with it). I have used the same harness with everything from a drysuit with 400G thinsulate underneath to just a swimsuit, and double 104's to a single 80. Through all the range I have not had the stability problems, and I haven't made any adjustments to the harness.

Hope this helped some!

Hi Ian,
I presently use a TP II and rec with a single tank and some times plus a pony and its great.If you are only ever going to use a single tank i would suggest the travel wing as this is disigned for this purpose .The TPII + rec wing wieghs in at 6 kg i do not know how much this differs from an ali BP. If you are trying to loose wieght of your belt the TPII offers lots of alternatives in its modular system.I use trim wieghts on the tank,a small amount on a belt and the fine tune in the intergrated wieght system balancing for the best trim as i do not like alot of wieght on my belt.Hope this helps,

MAL..

Thank you Mr Mojo

Would you let me know
1. How much wieght is that in total
2. What gear are you carrying
3. What do you wiegh

Also do you suffer from "tank flop" ?

Thank you

Ian

IanH,

Just to throw my 2 cents in:

The backplate is great for all types of diving. The type of plate that you use will depend on where your position trims out at. I use a SS backplate (about 6 lbs-2.75kg) when I dive a single AL80. I'm about your size-a little heavier. The AL backplate is too light above my COG which pushes my feet down and takes me out of horizontal positioning.

When I dive a 3 mil shorty, I use nothing to 4 lbs, depending on circumstances. I don't have a 5 mil so I can't suggest weighting for that.

If I were to guess, the SS plate would be best for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom