Jacket vs back inflate for new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The more you dive, and with increased years of experience and comfort in the water, you will realize you can dive well in any style bcd. But, as you progress in diving. and had bought a jacket, and then progressed to a back inflate unit as I did, you will likely begin to find faults with your bcd as you find better ways to operate. It may simply be something like the location and number of D rings or something more significant, and you will discover, as I did, the only bcd that gives you infinite flexibility is a bp/w. However, bp/ws are not for everyone. For example, my wife has a Scubapro Go jacket, and would not use a back inflate or bp/w because she likes to be higher out of the water while waiting for a boat pickup. You will ultimately find what works best for you, and hopefully you will not have bought several bcds before reaching that level of satisfaction. My bcd progression was plastic backpack and tank (no bcd)...long layoff from diving....Sherwood Avid jacket...Zeagle Covert back inflate...HOG bp/w. Happy now, and would not go back to any of the previous bcd options.

For people who are against BP/W vs regular back inflate bcd, what exactly are the complaints? What are the cons of the BP/w?

While I am pro BP/W here are some of the most common that I have heard.

• Surface position: a BP/W can push your head forward a little bit instead of just bobbing on the surface in a full upright position. Personally I don't really notice.
  • Initial sizing: More so for shops and rental gear but sizing a jacket is a bit simpler. Height/weight/gender = size X. BP/W setups are a bit more tailored to the individual diver. That setup while is relatively easy and quick for a seasoned hand, can take some time and trial and error for a new diver
  • No built in pockets

While I am pro BP/W here are some of the most common that I have heard.

• Surface position: a BP/W can push your head forward a little bit instead of just bobbing on the surface in a full upright position. Personally I don't really notice.
  • Initial sizing: More so for shops and rental gear but sizing a jacket is a bit simpler. Height/weight/gender = size X. BP/W setups are a bit more tailored to the individual diver. That setup while is relatively easy and quick for a seasoned hand, can take some time and trial and error for a new diver
  • No built in pockets

How do you get the sizing right the first time for internet purchases?

As for the lack of pockets, what options do you have with the BP/W to work around this?

As for the lack of pockets, what options do you have with the BP/W to work around this?
For many things, such as DSMB, attaching a boltsnap to it and clipping it to a butt or rear hip D-ring is convenient. For a backup light, a chest D-ring and tucking it into a band on the front strap is preferred. Small cameras are often clipped off to the chest.

For pockets, what size would you prefer? small, medium, large? Flat, square, pleated? All can be attached where you want on shoulder or waist straps. Some companies even make pockets that attach to the side of the plate. Others make flat ones that go between you and the plate for storing a DSMB folded flat.
Small flat pockets on the upper shoulder strap might hold a beacon, mirror, or whistle.

For sizing, most people fit the standard size plate. You can get adjustable shoulder straps (like the kind on jacket BCs) or you can get the kind you do not cinch down every dive and just move the webbing around a bit the first few dives until it feels right. For shorter folk, especially women, there are a few companies that make shorter plates, which several women here speak highly of.

How do you get the sizing right the first time for internet purchases?

For a jacket? The manufacturer sizing guides are usually pretty close. For BP/W if you are doing single piece webbing then you get it all slotted through everything and then cut it (i'd leave slack at first) then you could adjust and either use more of the slack or cut it if you don't need it.

For pockets, you can do technical shorts that you wear over a wetsuit or most drysuits have pockets. There are a few pocket things you can attach to the waist bands on a BP/W but those are less commonly seen.

Just to note that many here recommend BP/W systems because they like them, even for recreational diving. I'm not sure it is peer *preasure* as much as peer recommendation based on experience.
This ^

If you are considering technical diving, diving in doubles, dry suit diving or eventually moving to a rebreather, you should get a BP/W. On the other hand, if you are absolutely sure that you will never be doing anything other than warm water single tank recreational diving, you should get a BP/W.

I don’t really know anything at all about the “wing” setup. What is that?

It's what the back inflate was designed to mimic.

If I do decide I definitely want the inflation behind me, what does the BP/W offer or lack compared to a regular back inflate BC

One can configure a BP/W to the type of diving you do, and your personal preferences. Downside is you have to figure out what you want. In any event, you can change configuration without having to buy another BC. If you want pockets, you can attach what size pockets you like, where you decide. One can repair or replace parts as necessary, and it does not have the problems with obsolescence.

That being said, any BC will work, because it is not the BC that makes a good diver, and a good diver can make any BC work well.

I started diving with no BC, and have used every type BC since, and now use a BP/W. All types have their advantages and disadvantages so if you can try as many as you can as you make your choice.

Thomasj1107,

Congratulations on your recent certification.

You're asking good questions at the right time.

My personal opinion is that the BCD represents one of the best opportunities for a new diver to spend hundreds of extra dollars on features that will not enhance safety, comfort, or diving efficiency.

Many divers find that they want less and less out of their BCD's as they advance as divers.

What do you want your BCD to do? You want it to hold your tank, help control your buoyancy, and give you a place to stow and secure whatever you bring into the water with you (possibly but not necessarily including your weights).

What do you not need your BCD to have? Extra pockets, extra padding and quilting, fancy quick release gizmos that create the impression that pulling on their brightly colored handles might solve a problem, and the extra weight and bulkiness that come from such "enhancements."

If you think you might at some point want to engage in technical diving, the BPW set up described in this thread will give you the greatest flexibility.

If, however, you're pretty sure you'll stick with the plan you described, you might want to consider a travel BC like the Hollis LTS (about $500) or the Dive Rite Hydro Lite (about $600). They're lightweight, easy to clean, easy to back, and allow you to feel unencumbered in the water.

If you want plain functionality and durability with zero frills, consider the Zeagle Scout (around $400). This is what I bought for my students to learn in.

Best wishes,

This ^ If you are considering technical diving, diving in doubles, dry suit diving or eventually moving to a rebreather, you should get a BP/W. On the other hand, if you are absolutely sure that you will never be doing anything other than warm water single tank recreational diving, you should get a BP/W.

I have used a BP/W but when I decided on replacing some kit I went back to a Scubapro Black XXL BCD. I dive in Asia and do not wear a wetsuit so the BCD was more comfortable for me. Nothing preventing me slinging another tank if I needed one on a dive. I have buddies that sling an extra tank when using a backplate single tank setup. I will not get into rebreathers or dry suit diving. Some of the divers on SB complain that when they get to the surface staying vertical while waiting for a boat has been an issue as well as being in a swell they can be swamped by the water when using a BP/W.

Try a backplate / wing and try a BCD. See which one you find more comfortable. You may find there are good second hand BCD's or backplates for sale as well.

I have used a BP/W but when I decided on replacing some kit I went back to a Scubapro Black XXL BCD. I dive in Asia and do not wear a wetsuit so the BCD was more comfortable for me. Nothing preventing me slinging another tank if I needed one on a dive. I have buddies that sling an extra tank when using a backplate single tank setup. I will not get into rebreathers or dry suit diving. Some of the divers on SB complain that when they get to the surface staying vertical while waiting for a boat has been an issue as well as being in a swell they can be swamped by the water when using a BP/W.

Try a backplate / wing and try a BCD. See which one you find more comfortable. You may find there are good second hand BCD's or backplates for sale as well.
I appreciate the response. I have no way of trying out a BP/W setup, do dive shops normally rent them out?

Back
Top Bottom