J valves - question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc:
Those were the days my friend... I thought they'd never end!

How I remember the "pucker" that was the result of yanking down on the rod to find that the reserve had been open the whole time! The brief nanosecond of cerebral delay until the message hit your fins and you started your RAPID ascent. The constant working of the reg on the way up to see if there was still a teeny tiny breath that might save you, all the while pulling down on that rod a hundred times, hoping that the valve was sticky and that precious air was only a click away. Feeling the bright sun on your face as you spit your regulator out and let your aching lungs fill with sticky sweet air: FRESH AIR AND ALL I WANTED!

Oh yeah, I miss those days: NOT!

As for the use of J-Valves, I remove the inner spring and the "block" and reassemble the valve so it doesn't leak. Works fine, and you don't have to worry about showing up to a dive with an empty tank.

BTW, My Voit regulator made a funny noise at low PSI and the last breath or two was a bit labored. Of course, there were LOTS of conditions that could make it breathe hard, so I didn't always pick up on that. You can't miss the pucker though. What a rush!

LOL,

I also recall the "moment of truth" when you reach back to pull the lever, praying that it isn't already in the down position. (Of course, you did check it before the dive, but what if..... :)

The joys of the "old days"

take care,
Mike

The 'old' J-valve brings back memories of my O/W certf. in 1971!!

Wayward Son:
Anyway, by that time the SPG was std equipment. Octopus 2nd stages were still considered a costly option that most didn't have. Me, for example, and the rental rigs used by the class did not have them. The class taught buddy breathing, not handing off an extra stage. It also taught the use of a BC, something I had never seen before. The K valve was now the std valve, though J's were still quite common. In fact, I bought a steel 72 then & got it with a J (still have & use the tank & valve).

Son, bringing back some memories. I was certified in '84, SPG was standard, but as you stated, octo was not, buddy breathing (sharing 1 reg) was taught. Used it several times diving with my brother. I actually dove through the '90s without an octo (old habits die hard). Also used a horse collar BC till I couldn't really trust it any longer. That was probably my biggest adjustment, using the 'new' jacket type BCs. Bought my first in '02. And to this day I dive with the fins I purchased in 1981. I lost the knife I bought in '85 just last year while diving in Saba (if anyone has found it, I would sure like to have it back, would have had my initials DH or LEO on it).

My instructor, H J Heinen, had a few Js, but he was the only one to use them, we always used K.

Man are you all hurting me -- killing me! How could anyone even ask the question of "What is a J-Valve?" Don't you understand the J-Valve is (was) THE safety equipment of choice? You can't trust those darn pressure gauges -- way too tempermental and not accurate enough! Sigh.

And yes, that rush of "new air" after sucking very hard was just wonderful.

BTW, certified, Feb., 1967.

I purchase a tank with the J valve and had it modified to remove the reserve valve. It was my understanding that there is a kit manufactured to do this if you prefer.

The J valve is/was indispensable when working in zero viz...particularly in a multi-level setting. When down to 500psi you could pull the lever, and if necessary, decend before beginning the ascent. Not so with the K-valve. With the K-valve you might be able to suck the little extra air on the ascent as the surrounding pressure decreases..but you darn sure can't go back down again. I still have a couple of J's lying around and a old single stage, two hose reg.

Regards

You problably find this funny but the Canadian navy went back to a J valve system to add a safety factor,so while you are working away or dive at night without a light you have that reserve of air that you can tell you have arround 500 psi left without looking at you SPG.

I don't worry about modifying the valves. If I was going to spend that much I'd just replace them, a new K valve is only $35 & I see them used often for $20.

I just make sure the reserve is pulled down when setting up the rig, after that it might as well be a K.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom