J valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Paladin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to replace the K valve on my AL80 with a J valve and I've found a few on Ebay. My question is this: Do all 3/4" J valves handle 3000 PSI or not?

no..... the valve is rated for the burst disc installed. Often it's 3000psi based, but it might be otherwise... like 2400psi or 2250psi, etc.

post your EBAY links here and we'll take a look at them.

EDIT: why do you want a J valve? with modern pressure gauges, J valve requirements are a thing of the past.

One way of telling is that the majority of 3000 psi J valves have the J in plastic. If it's steel, it's a good chance that it's old and intended for a 2250 71.2 cu.ft. tank. You can always ask the owner. :)

I like J valves. I learned to dive using them and, when using my single hose regs with SPGs, I like the backup. Also, I just bought a DA Aquamaster and I want to dive it the way I did in the old days. I have a Healthways steel 72 with a Sherwood J valve and it has served me well for over 30 years.

I like J valves. I learned to dive using them and, when using my single hose regs with SPGs, I like the backup. Also, I just bought a DA Aquamaster and I want to dive it the way I did in the old days. I have a Healthways steel 72 with a Sherwood J valve and it has served me well for over 30 years.

Nice reg. I started with a Healthways double hose, single stage in 1964. No SPG and a K valve. Back then we had a different level of appreciation for our Buddy. :)

Any of the J valves will handle 3000 psi, it just a matter of putting in the correcr pressure burst disc. That is the only difference. You might want to consider the Dacor valve as they also have an HP port which is only pressurized when the valve is open so you can remove the plug and install an SPG with the tank full. A J valve is a good back up to an SPG failure.

I have an aluminum 80 with a J-valve that I want to replace with a K-valve. Trade? PM me.

wondercheese

If Paladin doesn't trade I will.
I'll mail mine to you and you mail yours to me (I'll go first).
PM if you are interested.
Dale.

If you have a dive shop that has been around for a while ask if they have one. I bet they have at least a few in a box or on a condemed tank waiting for the scrap drive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom