J-valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I don't understand is why they won't sell J valves to civilian divers anymore. That simple little gadget might well save a lot of divers in case of SPG failure or inattentiveness.:idk:
I don't know either, but since I haven't bought a new tank since the 1980s, I don't worry about it. I think ;that all my tanks have a J-valve, and most often I use them. I recently sent my only K-valve manifold to a friend, so I don't even have that one any more. One thing nobody has said is that the J-valve provides a wonderful carrying handle for the cylinder. :wink:

SeaRat

Whatever you do now, save the lever and at the next valve service have the shop remove the guts and then replace the lever. That way it still looks like a J-valve but will be open inside. Frankly, I think this is utter sacrilege, but your valve, do what you want. (If your J is a U.S.Divers, send me the guts if you don't want them:))
Duckbill, I know you think this is a great idea, but I've just consulted my Fred Roberts book, Basic Scuba, and from what I can see of the diagrams, and know of my J-valves, it would be mighty difficult to do this and maintain an air-tight seal. If a person doesn't want to use the J-valve, simply do what they did when filming Sea Hunt and leave them in the down, or "on reserve" setting.

SeaRat

Duckbill, I know you think this is a great idea, but I've just consulted my Fred Roberts book, Basic Scuba, and from what I can see of the diagrams, and know of my J-valves, it would be mighty difficult to do this and maintain an air-tight seal. If a person doesn't want to use the J-valve, simply do what they did when filming Sea Hunt and leave them in the down, or "on reserve" setting.

SeaRat

Removing the J seat and keeping the stem and lever is doable without any leakage issues.

My LDS does it all the time. They looked at me funny when I told them I wanted my J-valves to work they way they are supposed to, so please don't touch them.

I though that I was the only still using a beaver tail and J-valves.
Nope!

Okay, I was thinking about that, and you are right there. I was thinking of the main stem, but that would stay in. Anyway, I was coming back to modify my post when I saw that you had already commented on it--that was quick. But as a safety device, you really don't want to tamper with it unless it is very, very apparent to someone that it has been modified. You don't want someone throwing on a Mistral without a SPG, putting that reserve lever up, and diving it thinking he or she has a 300 psig reserve. As you know, the Mistral breaths best at about that pressure, and that could make a dive very exciting.

SeaRat

ZKY, U.S. Divers made banjo fittings available from 1967 on. I'm pretty sure others had them available even before that.

Yeah I know, but if I'm going to go vintage then I prefer the minimalist vintage approach: no extra hoses, no guages, just a double hose on a tank and that's it.
I like to have to be forced to pay attention to my watch and depth guage. It makes diving real for me again.

Yeah I know, but if I'm going to go vintage then I prefer the minimalist vintage approach: no extra hoses, no guages, just a double hose on a tank and that's it.

I like to have to be forced to pay attention to my watch and depth guage. It makes diving real for me again.

For me it depends on the dive. If it is going to be 50 feet or deeper and I expect to stay there until near the NDL I will use an SPG. Shallower dives I am can go either way or on a deeper NDL dive on double 72's I know there is no way I will end up short on air so I don't need the SPG or the J valve just a depth gauge and watch.

One thing nobody has said is that the J-valve provides a wonderful carrying handle for the cylinder. :wink:

SeaRat

I beg your pardon page 1 post 10 "I like J-valves because the T configuration makes for a dandy carry handle.":wink: Thanks all plenty of food for thought.

If you send me 2 K-valves I'll send you 2 J-valves. One is a little sticky and will need some service the other works fine. As I posted earlier, I'm not so much a vintage diver as I'm an old diver with some old gear that I still use because it works and I like it, my Scubapro MK5 for example. I don't have a problem with progress or technology most of the new gear I like. What I don't like is what I perceive as an over reliance on technology and equipment instead of developing useful skills.

The new wet suits for example are so far superior to suits even 20 years ago why would anyone not want to use one. I'll throw in 2 pull rods with the J-valves also, that's a 40 dollar bonus value as they say!

Uh, if that offer is still open, I'll take you up on that. PM inbound.

ka

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom