IYHO - Best Underwear for Ice Water Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for electrical failures ect, I had several while developing my own personal system from scratch. I ruined 2 batteries, 2 heat pads and 1 controller, but every failure was a learning experience. Afterwards I would examine the failure point and redesign until I had a reliable system. I recently tested it in February and did 40 dives with it, without any issues. I built my own system because I didn't like the batteries and controllers available at the time. Today I would recommend a Fathom Dive or Scaleo controller, I still use my battery as it is safer and superior to anything out there, but you can use a typical scuba battery, the heat pad is still custom, but you can make one yourself or I can make one for you (6 months lead time)

The US Navy Seals have zero interest in cold water drysuit diving. This is the same type of system the US Navy Seals use, only slightly different for combat use. The Navy uses 6-volt batteries (6 volt is also more efficient for heating, more amperage at same wattage than 12v) vs 12v and they use only on/off magnetic switch instead of a variable controller (more reliable, less complicated to use), I have consulted with professionals on this, speaking with the manufacturer of that equipment, while doing research during the development of my own system. Diving heated wet or heated dry cold water is just 2 different ways to skin a cat, both achieve the same results exposure protection, it's just a matter of preference.

BTW the manufacturer I spoke with said drysuits are meant for use in contaminated water not cold water, but again it's a personal preference.

I dive in western Canada. I use 250g smartwool baselayers with a santi bz400 and i keep warm enough on 45-50 minute dives. I use thiner baselayers when the water gets warmer. I'm diving in a mobbys tech drysuit with a full cordura shell which is pretty thick so i think it helps a lot in not needing a heated vest.

When im diving in 2-5C water I wear:
- thin wicking base layer...
- some UA ColdGear 4.0 (and/or MEC equivalent) as a Mid layer. It's a waffle weave similar to the very expensive Fourth Element J2 baselayer but at half the cost.
- Top Layer has been Fourth Element Artic for the past 5 years.
All this, under my DUI TLS 350 Trilaminate

I am comfortable for a 75 minute dive.
I would like to try wool but I am allergic. Imagine being itchy beyond belief, under a drysuit, mid dive :)

The US Navy Seals have zero interest in cold water drysuit diving. This is the same type of system the US Navy Seals use, only slightly different for combat use.
The navy seals and recreational diving are not even similar things. That analogy is like saying I could run the Boston Marathon in 2 hours because a different guy did it and we both have ears.

The navy seals and recreational diving are not even similar things. That analogy is like saying I could run the Boston Marathon in 2 hours because a different guy did it and we both have ears.

I love it every time I hear but the seals use this.

Even if we start talking tech totally different things. We are going to look at, take pictures of, explore, etc. They are getting somewhere as fast as possible without being seen and blowing something up.

Lol, this system is not new just improved and it can dive any water temp even Antartica. If the water is colder just adding more watts and more insulation solves the problem. It's just simple math a diver will be losing heat and the system has to replace more than what is being lost.

In Antarctica (water temps 29F) I used a Weezle Extreme and dry gloves. No problems.

I will stick to long dives in thin heated wetsuits in the Philippines lol, but seriously it's a game changer for me. Its like trying to explain what a jetski is to a person living in 1942, its hard to understand until you use it. I feel like I am taking a long hot shower, its not just being warm its like a jacuzzi type of sensation. The thermal compound is crazy stuff it absorbs the heat and retains it, and slows down its dissipation into the environment allowing the pad to reach 130 degrees f in the wetsuit underwater, that is very unlike a venture heat. I built my own venture heat vest using a Gerbing heated vest and scuba battery and I could hardly feel any heat at all really, certainly not an amount that was worth my time and effort.

Ok we get it.....

Other people who dive dry are interested in other peoples opinions though so please stop selling us your product.

Back
Top Bottom