IYHO - Best Underwear for Ice Water Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your right there was no such thing before, only junk/toys. Today it's a real technology that really works and is amazing to use.

I make heating pads with e/o cord, I also make controllers and batteries, but you can use a Fathom Dive systems controller ($229 I just upgraded) and any battery, the heating pad is 12 x 10 inches and can reach a temperature of up to 130-150 degrees f on land depending on wattage 70-90w. I can make a pad for you $500 + controller $229 + your battery (1x250 watt hour or 2 x 160-watt hour) + 7mm wet suit and your good for 2 dives ice diving. I would also recommend a non-diving battery for the surface interval to stay warm without a hot hut. The costs are comparable or cheaper than a drysuit heated system and everything can fit in one mesh dive gear bag.
That all seems like a hot item! Tell me, what are the odds against this system giving me a bit of a 'shocking experience' while submerged? I've always been hesitant about mixing water with electrical current.

I run the Fourth Element base layer, a venture heated vest, a xerotherm vest, then a halo 3d as undergarments for cold water diving. It has been the best blend of warm and comfortable I have found.

I run the Fourth Element base layer, a venture heated vest, a xerotherm vest, then a halo 3d as undergarments for cold water diving. It has been the best blend of warm and comfortable I have found.
I just got the Venture heated vest to try this year...looking forward to it

I just got the Venture heated vest to try this year...looking forward to it
I also run a thermalution as a backup vest. I had it first and upgraded to the Venture last year. Thermalution still works fine, so I wear it as well.

I also run a thermalution as a backup vest. I had it first and upgraded to the Venture last year. Thermalution still works fine, so I wear it as well.

You wear both at the same time? Well, you do hate the cold. :D

You wear both at the same time? Well, you do hate the cold. :D
Yes. There are two ways to run heated gear involving cold water deco.
You run the heated gear on your ascent and through decompression only.
Or you run it the entire dive like I do because I am a wuss.
If you run it the entire dive and it fails during decompression, you have on gassed quickly with warm skin and blood, and will be off gassing slowly with cold skin and blood. The latter is a recipe for skin bends and sometimes worse.
Moral of the story, if you are a wuss and use heated gear through the dive, have a backup plan in case it fails.

This heating system is 4-5 times as powerful as a venture heat. Venture heat is 35 watts, this goes up to 90 plus it is insulated and contains thermal adhesive compound, 2 features that make a huge difference and are lacking in the venture heat and thermulation. Water is a great conductor of heat, and thermal insulation of the heating element is critical in a wet environment. The heating element must have its own insulation in addition to the wetsuit insulation if you want it to feel hot in a wetsuit underwater.

There are 3 parts 1. battery 2. controller 3. heatpad, you can buy a battery or controller from a bunch of different manufactures, as well as the heat pads. Then just put them together. After a couple of dives you will see what fits best like wire length etc.

I think I am one of the very few, truly heated wetsuit divers out there and I would like to see a few more, besides just me.

I developed this system for my scuba diving retirement dream.

When I was testing it in the Caribbean, they nick named me 4 cycle because I never got cold and my air lasted the longest, lol.

This heating system is 4-5 times as powerful as a venture heat. Venture heat is 35 watts, this goes up to 90 plus it is insulated and contains thermal adhesive compound, 2 features that make a huge difference and are lacking in the venture heat and thermulation. Water is a great conductor of heat, and thermal insulation of the heating element is critical in a wet environment. The heating element must have its own insulation in addition to the wetsuit insulation if you want it to feel hot in a wetsuit underwater.

There are 3 parts 1. battery 2. controller 3. heatpad, you can buy a battery or controller from a bunch of different manufactures, as well as the heat pads. Then just put them together. After a couple of dives you will see what fits best like wire length etc.

I think I am one of the very few, truly heated wetsuit divers out there and I would like to see a few more, besides just me.

When I was testing it in the Caribbean, they nick named me 4 cycle because I never got cold and my air lasted the longest, lol.
Sorry, I have zero interest in switching to a wetsuit for cold water diving. There are numerous reasons for that choice.
I'm not knocking your product, it just isn't something I personally see a use for.

I regularly dive 40-45F water. There is no way I’m switching to a wetsuit. That’s freaking insane. Maybe your solution works for warmer waters. But for true cold water and tech dives, nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom