IWR or Pure oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean eve

Reaction score
If there is an accident or have some DCS symptoms while diving(diving in warm water) in a remote localities and there is no recompression chamber nearby.Which one is better to perform?IWR or conduct pure oxygen on board?I'd read some articles about IWR and Conduct pure oxygen but still can't find out which one is better.If perform IWR,what is the actual/correct way to do it?
Is there anyway to heal mild DCS wihtout using the recompression chamber?Thanks.

In water recompression while there are tables readily available, is logistically impossible for almost anyone that does not have a navy or commercial support station above them.

The reasons are.... Possible unconciousness leads to drowning unless using full face mask.

Hypothermia and dehydration complicating the issue.

Decompression issues of the support divers.

Lack of sufficient gas.

difficulty in communicating.

And many more.

here is part of the proceedure:

Oxygen should be supplied at maximum depth of 9 msw (30 fsw), from a surface supply system. The ascent is commenced after 30 minutes in mild cases, or 60 minutes in severe cases, if significant improvement has occurred. These times may be extended for another 30 minutes, if there has been no improvement. The ascent is at the rate of 12 minutes per metre (4 minutes/foot). A diver attendant should always be present, and the ascent controlled by the surface tenders. The duration of the tables range from 2 hours 36 minutes or 3 hours 6 minutes depending on the treatment options used.

And links with more info

http://www.cisatlantic.com/trimix/AQUAcorps/Bent/inwater/Edmunds.htm

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/faq.asp?faqid=47

cancun mark:
here is part of the proceedure:

Oxygen should be supplied at maximum depth of 9 msw (30 fsw), from a surface supply system.
A diver attendant should always be present, and the ascent controlled by the surface tenders...
Seems like use of a FFM would improve the survivability of oxtox seizures, should they occur...

TazTheSpaz:
Seems like use of a FFM would improve the survivability of oxtox seizures, should they occur...

If you are going to set up for IWR, for reasons that have been explained elsewhere, a FFM is a required part of the equipment.

-------------------------------------------------

Pug's Translation Service: "...leaving me to concentrate on the dive."
translation: "I don't have to pay attention to my time and depth...(the real reason why folks love them computers... neural necrosis.)"

[Editor's Note: The Most Ancient and Honourable Uncle Pug was a sage who was a member of a Luddite-style sect, known as the Amish Diving Society. The members of this society had the paranoid belief that "The Machine is EVIL!" Their constant refrain was "Cripple your computers! Use stone tablets and wet-notes! Seek the blessings of the great god GI3---God Reincarnated for the Third Time---Achieve a state of grace by returning to the ways of our ancestors!"

While it was known that the Most Ancient and Honourable Pug was well-intentioned in his teachings which, if interpreted properly, did make relatively good sense, his words were often distorted by the most fanatical members of the sect.]

---------------------------------------------------

:cwmddd: Well, monkey, I don't give a Tinker's Damn if you wank DIR, or dive Supreme.

Why does 90% of your post have nothing to do with the question asked?

BigJetDriver69:
While it was known that the Most Ancient and Honourable Pug was well-intentioned in his teachings which, if interpreted properly, did make relatively good sense, his words were often distorted by the most fanatical members of the sect.
Just because a quote is taken out of context and displayed on it's own, does not mean the intent of the teacher or the student has been lost. If you would like to read it in context, here's the chapter and the book. :wink:

The sig is not intended as a computers rot your brain rant. It is intended as a poke at those who think computers are the know all and end all of safe diving and argue vehemently to that end. I believe there are many, many folks out there diving who should NOT dive without a computer as they would probably get severely bent.

cornfed:
Why does 90% of your post have nothing to do with the question asked?
100% of mine doesn't.

Fear the machine, brothers. It is evil. Burn those who invent the tools of the devil. :wink:

--------------------------------------------------------

:cwmddd: Well, monkey, I don't give a Tinker's Damn if you wank DIR or dive Supreme.

Folks,

To get back on point, IWR is, as has been pointed out, not an easy thing to do. It requires an equipment set-up specific to the procedure. It depends upon the weather being calm, the water temp being warm enough to spend the required time in the water, having enough O2 to supply the distressed diver's needs, and an assistant to help support the diver in the water.

If you have the training, equipment, and the need, it can be valuable. The need would, of course, be dictated by distance from proper medical facilities, i.e. very extended transport time.

Back
Top Bottom