I've read 30 pages on this thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coldwaterdufus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
New to SB. I'm interested in buying tanks. After all my reading, I think I've got it sorted out. Male, mid fifties, 5 ft 7", 160#, new diver (about a year), drysuit / cold water. Point is, not very big + a somewhat cranky back. No desire for doubles.
I'm fine carrying / shore diving the weight of the AL 80's, but I would like more air as I'm the one restricting my buddies dive time. Yes, my SAC rate has dropped and I'm at the point where I'm pretty comfortable in the water. > 50 dives
I like the Worthington's and know I can drop 6-7# going to the Hp X7 100's.
X7 120 ---I think the length would be a problem for me.( longer than AL 80 at 28 " ).
---I think I could handle the 4-5 extra #'s of the 120 though.
X8 130---borrowed a 130 and found it heavy on shore. 5 # more than the 120 empty.
---We do have to scramble sometimes.
---The 130 tended to tilt me sideways in the water. Loved the air though.
X8 119---essentially the same weight as the 130, therefore heavy for me.
Does anybody have any alternatives ? I'd like as much air as I can get, just like everybody else. Carrying it seems to be my problem. The 100's are more air, 77 cf versus 100 ( to 3000 and 3442 resp ) 30%, but more would be even better.
I still think the 100's are the answer, but wondering what everybody else thinks .

Appreciate everybody's input. Thanks

100's are great, whether aluminum or steel. Make sure you can get the fills you want, as the steels are 3442 PSI, aluminums are 3300. Some shops don't seem to wanna fill to more than 3000, or 2850 cold. Then when you jump in that cold-a$$ Canadian water with ice cubes floating in it, you'll start your dive with approximately 16 PSI. J/K.

Frank

100 AL's are taller & fatter than 80 AL's. They weigh a lot more. I dove them for years, even some beach dives. Would rather not use them for beach dives where the walk is very long or steep. Luxfers weigh several lbs less than Catalinas do.

If the length of an E7-120 is a problem for you, an AL100 will be too.

E7-100 or FX-100 3442 tanks are really sweet, especially compared to an AL100.

100's are great, whether aluminum or steel. Make sure you can get the fills you want, as the steels are 3442 PSI, aluminums are 3300. Some shops don't seem to wanna fill to more than 3000, or 2850 cold. Then when you jump in that cold-a$$ Canadian water with ice cubes floating in it, you'll start your dive with approximately 16 PSI. J/K.

Frank

you think you jest??

Ever taken tank out and watched the Air Integrated computer just drop.... the first 2 mins of the dive it extrapolates that air-remaining time is only 15 mins.... on a 3400 fill of an X7 120.... once the shrinkage is done, it smartens up and its nice to watch a dive computer's dive time numbers go up and not be in deco :D

the downside to HP tanks is you can't always get them filled to spec. some shops do good to hit 3000, which handicaps even the 3300 AL100. a 3442 can be even tougher, but a 300 fill in an FX-100 is still not bad. Just not what you bought the tank for.

I now dive Faber FX-117's, which are short fat 3442 tanks. a 3000 fill on one of those is still a nice bit of gas. Total weight is a bit better than a luxfer Al100, the bouyancy characteristics are better & it's shorter than an AL80.

I dove an AL100 once and hope to never again. To me they have all the worst characteristics rolled into one tank; bulky, heavy, and floaty. Ewwww...

You might consider a LP95 with a judicious overfill. It's probably the only thing that could offer any advantage over a FX100 (faber) or X7-100, and they are a little heavier. (I think 38 lbs vs 34 or something like it)

I'm almost exactly your size, I carry double 72s around with no problem and they're a blast to dive with. Empty the pair is only 52 lbs. You have to add the bands/manifold weight to that but really it's not bad.

As most have said, the hp100 is a great tank and would work great for you. The main problem is getting a full fill. There are several shops around me but only 1 that will fill it past 3000psi.

I use Faber FX tanks.. have 100's, 117's and 133's..need to find a sale on 149's one of these days.

My shore diving tank is the 100's... lighter that an AL80 when you add the lead you drop... slightly smaller.. great tanks.

I've tried the 120... but even for me at 6 ft, they are a bit long...worse than the 133's... so use 117's...my tank of choice unless I have a reason not to...and they can be bought at great prices from time to time...

Wow , thanks for all the comments. Wookie, you're right with your ice cube comment. Few dives I've started with 2600 once the cold water hits the tanks (and me) TC Rain, I'm learning to love full fills. Mattboy, doubles are even heavier. Wayward Son / Puffer Fish; I looked into big Al's, but no due to length and weight. Here are my numbers and what I carry now ( with rented AL 80's ) Empty tank 31.4, Air 6.4 (full) and lead 34#. Total with AL 80's = 71.8. The rest are calculated.
Worthington x7 100 = 68.3 Dropping 7.0# lead with the Worthington 100
faber FX 100 = 71.6 better tank re buoyancy, heavier than AL 80 empty

X8 119 = 79.2
FX 117 = 78.1 increase of 6-7 #
120' are too long as discussed
X8 130 = 79.5 As above , found it heavy in and out of the water

As you can see, the 117 and the 119 are almost the same weight as the 130 which I found heavy, therefore these are not good options to purchase . Back to the X7 100 as the tank of choice.

100's is what I'd go with.........You'll be 'better' in a few more dives--& be able to blow everyone out the water........Although, a 120 would be sweet.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom