Ive been snorkeling there, but diving? Hanamau bay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameri180304

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I went to Hanamau bay with my mother in 2005. I got certified a few months back, and want to go to a place on Oahu with my mother - to where I can beach dive and she can snorkel. Does H. Bay allow this? Do they rent weights / tanks on the beach as they do snorkel stuff? Its been so long, and dont remember.

I did my first tropical dive there - I was blown away by the reef out to the right. I was hooked. I don't recall rental gear but hopefully someone with current knowledge will chime in.

Probably best to rent your gear at a shop here in town...... you will need to watch the video and then you can head down and gear up. Careful on the outer reef if it's choppy and make sure you have a compass or bring someone who is good at navigation.

Have fun,

G

Watch out for the Molokai Express :wavey:

As posted, don't expect to rent gear at the bay as they only have snorkel stuff. The cable is a nice dive but definitely be careful leaving the protected inner reef. There are two channels to leave the reef from and if you miss them coming back in, you will find yourself high and dry and getting bashed by surf. Also, the current in these channels can be tricky so save some air to hand-over-hand it through these bits.

Back
Top Bottom