IUD Discomfort While Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AzAtty

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
My wife (uncertified but wanting to get certified) asked me a question relating to birth control and diving, and I have no idea how to answer her. Therefore, I'm seeking answers from the experts here. I know that DAN says that diving with an IUD poses no health risks to a woman. But in your experience (if you have it) does an IUD cause any discomfort while diving? I have to confess that in my studies of diving physiology, I haven't focused on female anatomy and don't know if pressure affects the uterus differently than the rest of the body. Your comments will help set her mind at ease about that little detail. Thanks in advance.

My girlfriend the midwife (and cave diver and IUD user) says absolutely not, no issues at all.

I have no personal experience with IUD but I do keep up with surveys on these types of topics and very few have reported issues. I'm on nuva ring (different since it is more. . .upfront I guess you would say) Which to me would seem to cause more discomfort than an iud since it could slip out and I have had no issues.

It isn't an air filled device and it isn't placed in an air filled pocket. I would think NO PROBLEM. Can always call DAN and find out for sure. You can reach them at 1-800-446-2671.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom