It's THAT time again...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coldblue

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
to upgrade my regulators.

Apeks is one of my options, tried the atx100 and atx50, they both breath great but i couldn't notice much of a difference between them. They however felt a little better than the other brands in my short list.

I need a little education in the differences between the TX, ATX and XTX lines.
So far i can see the differences mostly in the aesthetics and materials used to reduce weight, and the XTX line can be left mounted (which i wouldn't need). However the tech specs seem to be rather similar amongst them.

Am i missing something?

I most likely will not be diving cold waters. Except for the ocassional dives in the caves, It will be exclusively for the ocean and mostly recreational diving including instruction (i use separate gear for pool instruction). I'd like a regulator that will likely not break, and if it does can be serviced/repaired with ease. Looks are secondary, if it breaths great i'm okay with the look.

If i definitively go with Apeks, what model would be the best bang for the buck?

Thanks for your input

CB

Coldblue:
I need a little education in the differences between the TX, ATX and XTX lines. So far i can see the differences mostly in the aesthetics and materials used to reduce weight, and the XTX line can be left mounted (which i wouldn't need). However the tech specs seem to be rather similar amongst them.

Am i missing something?

The TX, ATX and XTX are just names for the second stage series. The first stages are the same - for instance, a TX100, ATX100 and XTX100 will be paired with essentially the same FST first stage, a TX50 and ATX50 will be paired with the DST, etc. The ATX50, ATX100 and ATX200 second stages are essentially the same second stage design with minor cosmetic/material differences; the ATX40 or below would be the non-adjustable version - same criteria applies to the XTXs.

The DST, FST and FSR first stages sold with the XTXs also have four 3/4" medium pressure ports and not the usual Apeks three 3/4" ports and one 1/2" port configuration.

The TX series is larger than the ATX and XTX. The XTX second stages, "incorporates the new feature of Diver Changeable Exhausts system (DCE). This system gives the diver the ability to change from a small exhaust tee to a large exhaust tee. This gives the user a choice, wider exhaust tee for minimal bubble interference (essential for underwater photography) and narrow exhaust tee for a smaller compact comfortable regulator (ideal for use as an octopus regulator)," according to thw Apeks website.

Coldblue:
If i definitively go with Apeks, what model would be the best bang for the buck?

Probably DS4/TX50.

Great regs apeks. I have two and have compared the breathing with my other regulators scuba pro ,sherwoods and Aqua-lung Legend . The Legend was also good.Apeks was bought by Aqua-Lung who then basically painted the 200 ATX black and sell them as Legends.My buddy is a tech who works on regs and he told me that apeks scored higher on his test bench than any other regs he has tested.

hoosier:
Vie recommends a wise choice.....

seconded..

after quite a bit of agonizing my wife and I ended up with that set-up.
Very happy with the choice.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Looks like i'll be ok with Apeks.
I like the fact of not having the swivel turret in the first stage, but browsing around i don't see a lot of DS4 first stages advertised, any ideas where to find them?

Coldblue:
Thanks for the feedback guys.
Looks like i'll be ok with Apeks.
I like the fact of not having the swivel turret in the first stage, but browsing around i don't see a lot of DS4 first stages advertised, any ideas where to find them?

Call Phil at Dive Sports. He sells them. You'll be very happy with their customer service and pricing. 800-601-DIVE. Tell him I sent ya.

Apeks DS4 First Stage Regulator
http://www.divesports.com/mall/apeks_reg_ds4fststage.asp

You might also like this comparison he wrote on Apeks 1st stages.

Comparison of the Apeks First Stage Regulator Products
http://www.divesports.com/articles/apeksregsexplained.htm

hope that helps. -Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom