It's spring ... the blooms are a'bloomin' ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Did one dive at Three Tree North yesterday and two at Sund Rock this morning. Spring algae blooms are out in full ... uh ... bloom ... :idk:

Vis at TTN yesterday was 10-12 feet from the moment I left the surface all the way down to my max depth of 87 fsw. It never cleared up at all.

Hood Canal was much better below about 30 fsw ... there was a dense halocline from the surface down to about 20 fsw ... thick with the oil'n'vinegar look but relatively clear of algae ... then a very thick algae layer between 20 and 30 fsw that had vis to less than a body length. Below that it cleared right up ... vis at 60 fsw was easily 20-25 feet.

Kinda reminded me of one of those foo-foo layered drinks I used to be fond of in college.

Anyway, I did get a few decent pics at HC this morning ... macro, of course ...

IMG_6702.jpg

IMG_6708.jpg

IMG_6716.jpg

IMG_6736.jpg

IMG_6742.jpg

Spring has most definitely sprung ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Yup, did 88 minutes at BHUT this morning and it was definitely blooming.

(Came back with 1200psi - gotta love big tanks and EAN40)

Nice pix, Bob.

I'm dreading "plankton season" here in SoCal. With the Macrocystis (giant kelp) just getting a start now that the invasive Sargassum is dying off, I'm afraid the phytoplankton will just suck more nutrients out of the water when the giant kelp is trying to get a foothold after being outcompeted for substrate, light and nutrients by the darned Sargassum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom