It's settled...we're going to FIBR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The lockers are open and provide a place to hang your gear after diving. You will not need a lock, as there is someone there during the day and at night the building is locked. I generally take my regs and dive computer to the room, but this is mostly to transcribe my entries into my log book. I would say that your stuff is as safe there as it would be anywhere else. Enjoy your trip.

Diver Lori:
Why, pray tell? Because regs are rinsed in tap water?

Two reasons:

(1) Tap water there is not safe for any oral use, i.e. drinking, washing regs, etc.

(2) Regs are often rinsed in the same tub as wetsuits, and we all know what happens in wet suits. :11ztongue

You may well want to take your reg to the room, wash it there, then rinse it with listerine.

Gotcha. I think I'll invest in a bottle of the new citrus listerine.

I get chilled easily....thinking of taking a 3mm jumpsuit and a cap hood....and throwing in the 3mm hooded vest just in case. What are the typical temps this time of year?

Diver Lori:
Gotcha. I think I'll invest in a bottle of the new citrus listerine.

I get chilled easily....thinking of taking a 3mm jumpsuit and a cap hood....and throwing in the 3mm hooded vest just in case. What are the typical temps this time of year?

Probably around 80oF water, air temsp in the 90s. But I've seen gals (who often chill more easily than guys) get chilled on the dive boat, with wind blowing on their wet heads. Wear a solid cap on the boat, and wait until you get ashore to airdry your hair. There is a couple of freshwater showers there at the dock...
:crafty:

Thanks Guys for the info!

I just returned from a week at FIBR and cannot complain. I had everything that one could want and then some. Our room was adequate, the first night our airconditioner went out, acutually it sounded like a jet plane trying to take off and quit cooling. We reported it at breakfast, and when we came back from our dives a whole brand new unit had been installed.

I did not brush my teeth or use the tap water in the room. I used bottled water and listerine to rinse my toothbrush out. They filled a pitcher every day in our refridgerator with bottled water and they claimed that the ice was made from purified water. I ate almost everything imaginable on the buffet. On the second night I did experience some more frequent bathroom visits ( not to the extent of diarhea though) I did start a course of Cipro just in case. I used a brand of bug spray called Bug Band, bought it here from my LDS. Until the middle of the week I had zero bites, but we went over to AKR to the dolphin snorkle and I was eaten alive there.But because of the spray I really don't have a bad case of bites. I did carry Benadryl gel and that helps for after the bites.

Bats did not fly around during the daytime at the Beach Palapas for lunches, however I did see them some during the early evening flying around. There also are these strange rodant/rabbit creatures there, but they are harmless and don't come near people. You will see them wandering around some though.

Now they are right about Roberto (Robert) He is great. He also works as a waiter some and he will look out for you. We were there as a group and stayed together on the same boat all week "Little Kem" Moses was the captain and our DM was Daren. They are awesome.

You can do the shore dives from the gazebo, if you do when you are done you leave your tank there and the dive shop picks them up later to refill. I only did a night dive from there to the Prince Albert wreck, it was awesome. I saw several octopus in various sizes, a barracuda, a anennome in the sand and lots of other fish there.

We did 3 tank dives a day off the boat and on Tuesday we did 2 in the morning with a night dive that night.

I had two dives that I was able to see my first seahorses, and take some awesome pictures. I also had an encounter with a large green moray eel that has made me have a much heathier respect for them. He was swimming along so I followed him to take photos, when I stopped to turn I must have touched him with my fin, because he turned around and bit the tip of my fin and would not let go. I froze and held real still so he would let go, he turned to leave and I tried to move on. But, he immediately rebit on my fins and would not go away. Daren came along with some fish food and lured him away. Needless to say I will not be chasing after those guys anymore. Quite scarey, I did not know if he would come up my leg or what.

I had a 1.5mm wet suit, which I only wore on one day dive. After that I wore shorts over my swimsuit and a rash guard shirt during the day. Water was very warm. On one dive it was 87 degrees. Now I did wear my suit on the night dives and was glad I did.

I had such a great time I hated to leave. Now I can't wait to go back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom