• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

It's a mola-mola world!

Discussion in 'Indonesia' started by billt4sf, Sep 22, 2018.

1. billt4sf

billt4sf Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    We finally saw it! A mola-mola – and WHAT an experience it was. It was humbling to be in the presence of these giant gentle animals. Pictures do not convey the feeling. As soon as we dropped down – there they were – two of them – in the exact same place we had waited maybe 15 previous times over a span of three years.

The first 15 mins were absolutely great – there were maybe 6 – 8 – 10 divers, and it positioned itself head down for several minutes for cleaning. (There were probably 20 fish cleaning it.) Kudos to the Geko staff for keeping us at a respectful distance! Then it slowly drifted towards us – totally under the animal’s control. We saw the mouth and tongue - almost like kissing - and it has just such a peaceful, awe-inspiring sense about it. It got within 3 – 5 meters (10- 15 feet) and I actually recoiled a bit as I didn’t want to touch it or disturb it.

Would that other divers felt the same way! After 15(?) mins there were maybe 20 divers – I found this the borderline of enjoyment – and most clearly had no compunction about getting arbitrarily close, using flash photography, a general cluster****. I felt sorry for the animal. CONTAIN YOUR EXCITEMENT FOLKS! – and the picture isn’t everything. Sure – take a picture. Then relax and enjoy. And stop it with those “fashion” wetsuits! Nobody cares what you look like underwater. A bright pink tank, for Chrissakes. Sheesh.

After maybe 30 minutes there were maybe 50 divers and I’m out! And many more coming as we were swimming back.

Lucky us that we got the magic hour. Even if it was “only” 15 – 20 mins. Kudos to Geko for their organization in making this happen. I won't give away the secret!
    Emily mola .jpg

It makes me feel like the total eclipse we experienced last summer. Such great nature – I just want to repeat it and repeat it and repeat it!

- Bill

Dan, Brian Khan18, Centrals and 8 others like this.
  2. charlier

charlier Marine Scientist

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    wonderful post!

3. scubadada

scubadada Diver Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Hi @billt4sf, Bill

I know what you mean. Earlier this year, I was lucky enough to be diving in the Galapagos. Off Isabella Island, at Punta Vicente Roca, we had the opportunity to spend 20-25 minutes with a number of Mola mola. They slowly swam by in the brisk current in front of us, like some kind of unearthly parade. It was truly magical, I will never forget this dive:)

Very best and good diving, Craig
    upload_2018-9-22_8-29-41.png

4. Tippytoes12

Tippytoes12 Manta Ray

Brilliant , very happy for you ! Which dive site did you see them in and what was the water temperature like ?

elzette DEKKER likes this.
  5. markb

markb Angel Fish

Well done!

elzette DEKKER likes this.
  6. billt4sf

Crystal Bay (from Padang Bai), 24 Degrees, 28m.

elzette DEKKER and Tippytoes12 like this.
  7. Luko

Luko Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    New Bill, year 1.
    We're safe now.

billt4sf likes this.
  8. billt4sf

No more need to sell hot dogs on the street in Padang Bai.

- Bill

chillyinCanada likes this.
  9. billt4sf

10. tsuyoshi

tsuyoshi Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Awesome, giving the rest of us newbs hope!