It's a boy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I definitely like the depth of field on the Oly better. Problem with the Oly is that for supermacro photography, supermacro mode is not very useful as it is fixed at 50mm or 60mm (forgot which) so I end up using 2 stacked macro lenses on top in macro mode and set the zoom to 80mm (could not really get the camera to focus well on 105mm) which really reduced the depth of field down quite significantly and I still sometimes could not quite get as much magnification as I like. I hope that with D70, if I shoot at F22 or more, depth of field should still be pretty good and I can get better magnification and the Ikelite strobe should not have a problem lighting the scene even at such extreme F22 or F32 (I hope). Also the higher ISO with D70 should help this scenario quite a bit.
On a nudibranch 2 inches long, it is going to be difficult to match the Oly in macro mode with no macro lens at F8 as far as depth of field goes, I think.
Of course I keep telling myself that with D70, I will be better equip to take pgymy seahorse picture this year than last year when I just have the C4040 with one macro lens :)

I will also miss shooting pictures of whale shark and nudibranch on the same dive as well. I am not going to throw away my C5050/housing just yet though, it is always nice to have a versatile camera available just in case.

OK, one last pic. Just took a delivery of my 60mm macro lens today so I played with it a bit before I ran out of sunlight.
This one is not quite a 1:1 but I am working on it. The flower is about 1.2cm wide.

aaj.sized.jpg

ISO200, 1/250, F/29, i-TTL -1.3EV, mode M

Isn't new gear fun? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom