It's a boy!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, I tried pretty much the same pics again this evening under compact fluorescent light. The light is a bit more yellowish than the usual compact fluorescent light.

aad.sized.jpg

D70 ISO200, F4.5, 1/30

aae.jpg

C5050, ISO64, F2.6, 1/40

Again there is more digital noise with the Oly but Oly automatic correction got rid off the yellow hue of the lamp pretty well and brighten up the scene quite a bit more than what was actually there.
The D70 did not really correct anything and the yellow hue was closer to the lighting of the set but it does seem to be a bit darker. White balance on both camera were set to auto and imported to photoshp CS with no further correction on white balance.

Congratulations ssra30! Enjoy the new toy.

One observation, the first 2 pics (daylight) with the C5050 don't look right. Granted it has more noticible noise but it looks like something's gone wrong during the conversion/down sample process as the detail in the can is very poor.

ReyeR, I was quite surprise when I saw the difference for the daylight pictures as well.
I took several shots and picked what I thought look the best.
Overall, I generally find the Oly auto correction tends to overexpose or brighten up the scene a bit too much which also tends to show artifacts from digital noise a bit more. I usaully imported in ORF file bypassing all of the camera automatic correction and do it myself on photoshop (at least on my better pictures anyhow).
Secondly, I am not sure how much the little condensation on the can contributed to the loss of detail of the can. By the time I shot the pic with D70, all the condensation was gone. The second batch of the pictures, the Oly pic was quite a bit better than the day picture, as far as detail goes.

OK, here are couple more shots. I hope you are all not bored with this. I will have to get back to work tomorrow and won't have much time to play with my new toys.
The pictures were taken around 8am here, cloudy sky with no sun at all. Clive, it must feel like England now (well, except for the cold :54: ).

aaf.jpg

C5050 ISO64, 1/40, F2.6, macro mode, 105mm

aag.sized.jpg

D70 ISO200, 1/25, F4.5, 70mm(well, equavalent to 105mm).

With the Oly autocorrection, you could not tell that it is rather cloudy and sombre kind of day (weatherwise). Color separation is not quite as good, as well as the fine detail. I think I am going to miss the bigger depth of field of the C5050 though. I think Clive is right that there is also seemed to be a little green cast on the D70. Hmmm....

Play all you like!

I've got that same water lily in my pond. And since I know the color of the leaves and pale pink blush of the petals, I have to say the 5050 gives a perfect likeness for color. I also like the DOF better but couldn't that be a result of the f/2.6 compared to the f/4.5?

Actually, f/2.6 has less depth of field than F/4.5. With macro shots, on the Oly, I always try to shoot at f/8 for maximal depth of field. I am not even sure if f/22 on the D70 with 80-170 macro zoom with give me as much depth of field as the Oly.
As far as the color goes, in comparison to the real thing, the D70 is actually more accurate. The water lily is mostly pale white with a bit of bluish tinge to it. The Oly brighten up the picture a great deal (don't forget, it is overcast big time here in Bangkok today) and actually added a bit more purplish/pinkish tinge that's not really there. Nice effect though! This is one reason I always shoot in RAW as I feel the Oly auto correction always try to brighten things up too much. At least when I import RAW into photoshop, I can bypass all of the automatic setting.
If the sun ever make an appearance today, I will try to get some decent shots in bright light and compare.

OK, the sun came out briefly so I revisited my little water lily thingy again. Ran out of batteries on my Oly though!
Thought I tried teh 70-180mm lens at 180mm end and hope I was able to hold the camera still enough.
aai.sized.jpg

ISO200, 1/800, F/8, P mode

Tried a little manual mode:
aah.sized.jpg

ISO200, 1/80, F22, M mode

I set the F stop then kept dialing the shutterspeed until the light meter was right at zero. For some reason the P mode tends to be a bit on the dark side, in comparison.

Hey ssra30, thanks for the side-by-side pics. In the lily shot I like the C5050 better :54: !
You know what these pics are doing? They are actually increasing my respect for the C5050! It's still the same story - I see nothing that makes me want to jump camps (or to the dark side) yet.

ReyeR:
Hey ssra30, thanks for the side-by-side pics. In the lily shot I like the C5050 better :54: !
You know what these pics are doing? They are actually increasing my respect for the C5050! It's still the same story - I see nothing that makes me want to jump camps (or to the dark side) yet.

No, no, no, no, :nonono: you have to like the D70 picture better.After spending all that money, it really has to be better, BETTER, I said! :gator: :whack:

ssra30:
No, no, no, no, :nonono: you have to like the D70 picture better. After spending all that money, it really has to be better, BETTER, I said! :gator: :whack:
Hahaha. I understand what you mean. But look at the depth of field of the Oly shot at 105mm/F2.6! It makes the flower jump out of the rest of the image :bounce: .

Back
Top Bottom