iTorch Video Pro 4 OK for Primary light too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kenns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Folks
I am a cold water diver in BC and have been using my UK Light Canon (825) lumen as my primary light. The problem is that when I need to take a picture, it dangles off my harness and the light dances around, sometimes alarming my buddy.:confused: I initially started looking into a can light, but since I do photography, I thought perhaps a very bright focus light set up on my camera rig would do the trick. I would use my UK light when I'm not using my camera. I'm looking at the itorch 4. I don't do videography, partly because I don't have the lighting. But I'm saving my pennies for an NEX 5N. But first....fix my lighting problem. Any thoughts on this notion?

Thanks,
Kerry

I use my sola 1200 as my video and primary light although I do switch between the spot and flood.

At a published 1300 Lumens the i-Torch is very capable. The main issue is all video lights produce a softer, wider light. Think of being in a room, the Light Canon will light the far wall but leave the area around you in the dark, most video light will light the room but not put a spot light on the far wall.

So in general video lights are fine in most situations with the possible exceptions of wreck or other tec diving where you want to light something that is a greater distance away from you. These are all video lights but you may find it useful http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jy2I9P6vk...8/QiIb-W3v3CY/s1600/Focus+Light+Beam+Test.jpg

I-torch sell their Goodman glove. You can use it for various sizes of torch diameter as handfree tool. The light will be on your knuckles.

However, if the light is a SPIN to ON/OFF, the woodman glove is not so suitable as you need two hands to SPIN a torchlight for ON/OFF. See how I mount Video Pro4 on a Goodman glove. VP4 has push button ON/OFF so its good. Just make sure you use the provided torch lanyard and do a loop on your hand as insurance. Just in case the velcro comes off and you drop the light when it is not powered ON.:D I still get approx 1 inch of velcro contact for a fat VP4, so its not too bad.

Have fun..........

Attachments

• I-torch video pro4 using their woodman glove.jpg
    I-torch video pro4 using their woodman glove.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 220
  • I-torch video pro4 using their woodman glove.jpg
    I-torch video pro4 using their woodman glove.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
I think it would work great, especially compared to a light canon, I'd go for it. Our customers are pretty happy with them. - Scott

I-torch sell their Goodman glove. You can use it for various sizes of torch diameter as handfree tool. The light will be on your knuckles.

However, if the light is a SPIN to ON/OFF, the woodman glove is not so suitable as you need two hands to SPIN a torchlight for ON/OFF. See how I mount Video Pro4 on a Goodman glove. VP4 has push button ON/OFF so its good. Just make sure you use the provided torch lanyard and do a loop on your hand as insurance. Just in case the velcro comes off and you drop the light when it is not powered ON.:D I still get approx 1 inch of velcro contact for a fat VP4, so its not too bad.

Have fun..........

Where did you find that goodman glove for your itorch? I can't find one anywhere.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom