Italy diving - worth it? (late May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swong17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an upcoming trip planned to Italy (landing May 22 in Rome). From Rome, we're renting a car and planning to go down to Naples/Pompeii for a day or two, and then leisurely making our way to the heel of the boot (in the Diso area) by May 25 or 26.

Originally, we were thinking this would be a land-based trip but just coming off another dive trip, my husband and I are both already anxious to get back in the water.

I was looking at the underwater city (Baia) near Naples/Pompei, maybe the Amalfi coast, and also out of Santa Maria di Leuca.

We love everything and are also photographers...nudibranchs and macro subjects, big pelagic life, walls, wrecks. Italy is not really known as a diving destination...but is it worth it to check out since we'll be there? Any specific dive sites/shops?

TIA for any advice and recommendations!

Welcome to Scubaboard.

Please have a look at this recent thread discussing practically the same thing:
Never been to Europe, considering Italy.

My personal suggestion: If you haven't been to Italy before, skip diving all together and concentrate on top side sightseeing (historical, cultural, natural, whatever you like anyway). Topside attractions are so significant, while diving probably so-so at best (compared to top dive destinations at least).

Keep in mind that I've never been or dived in Italy. I am pretty sure though that it is very similar to Greece.

Just my 2c.

Hi swong,

Welcome to Scubaboard.

I don't know anything about diving Italy. However, Angelo does. He is a scientist who started out as a scuba instructor. He does scuba for some of his scientific work.

He is probably a go-to on this subject: @angelo Farina

@fsardone is from Rome. He is a pilot and very knowledgeable.

Since I linked their names, they should get an Alert. Hopefully, they can give you some advice.

I will enjoy reading their answers to your questions.

cheers,
m

. . .
My personal suggestion: If you haven't been to Italy before, skip diving all together and concentrate on top side sightseeing (historical, cultural, natural, whatever you like anyway). Topside attractions are so significant, while diving probably so-so at best (compared to top dive destinations at least). . . .

I would extend what you said--"if you haven't been to Italy before"--to "if you haven't been to Naples before." We spent a week in Naples, and despite having the underwater archaeological park on our radar, found there was way more that we wanted to see and do in the Naples area than we could pack into a week. Our top priorities were Pompeii and pizza. And if you like Pompeii, don't miss Herculaneum, which may even be more interesting in some respects. Naples has a great museum. And did I mention pizza? We spent a full day on a pizza crawl. We also took a boat out to one of the islands, which we felt was well worth it. We also liked the hydrothermal vents of Campi Flegrei, which actually wasn't far from our VRBO. And the history--the jumping-off point for so many immigrants to America. Naples is fascinating. And did I mention pizza?

The area around Napoli and Amalfi is quite good for diving. I suggest that you search for some good diving center, and follow their advice.
If you have some more time consider also the small islands in front, such as Ischia, Procida, Capri. Wonderful sites, both above and under water...
It is a very touristic area, so do no expect to find sites where no man was before. People is diving there since 2500 years! Which means that the chance of finding big pelagic fish is nearly zero, but still there are nice vertical walls with soft corals (Paramuricee) and some hard red coral, and nice small fish, and a lot of macro things to be photographed. There are also some nice caverns, the most famous one being Grotta Azzurra in Capri:
Blue_Grotto%2C_Capri%2C_IT.jpg

I would extend what you said--"if you haven't been to Italy before"--to "if you haven't been to Naples before." We spent a week in Naples, and despite having the underwater archaeological park on our radar, found there was way more that we wanted to see and do in the Naples area than we could pack into a week. Our top priorities were Pompeii and pizza. And if you like Pompeii, don't miss Herculaneum, which may even be more interesting in some respects. Naples has a great museum. And did I mention pizza? We spent a full day on a pizza crawl. We also took a boat out to one of the islands, which we felt was well worth it. We also liked the hydrothermal vents of Campi Flegrei, which actually wasn't far from our VRBO. And the history--the jumping-off point for so many immigrants to America. Naples is fascinating. And did I mention pizza?

Pizza and Pompeii will definitely be on our agenda! If you have any specific favorites that you remember, recommendations are welcome! :) I've just started to think about the itinerary, and Herculaneum sounds awesome as well. Thank you for those recommendations!

The area around Napoli and Amalfi is quite good for diving. I suggest that you search for some good diving center, and follow their advice.
If you have some more time consider also the small islands in front, such as Ischia, Procida, Capri. Wonderful sites, both above and under water...
It is a very touristic area, so do no expect to find sites where no man was before. People is diving there since 2500 years! Which means that the chance of finding big pelagic fish is nearly zero, but still there are nice vertical walls with soft corals (Paramuricee) and some hard red coral, and nice small fish, and a lot of macro things to be photographed. There are also some nice caverns, the most famous one being Grotta Azzurra in Capri:
View attachment 567403

Thank you! Do you have any recommendations for dive shops in that area (that have good English-speakers)? Those islands sound lovely, but I'm not sure if we'll have enough time to make it out there.

What about the area off Santa Maria di Leuca? We'll be spending most of our week in Southern Italy, and it seemed like if we were to go diving, that would be the best option, giving us access to the Ionic and Adriatic. But it WILL be my first trip to Italy, so I want to be sure to make the most of my time there!

I’ll be doing something similar in that I’ll be driving from Venice through Italy into France and then Spain to leave on a cruise. I was thinking about trying to hit up some diving while I’m driving but I’ve been getting the same “skip the water and see the land” recommendations

Pizza and Pompeii will definitely be on our agenda! If you have any specific favorites that you remember, recommendations are welcome! :) I've just started to think about the itinerary, and Herculaneum sounds awesome as well. Thank you for those recommendations!

I think the topic of where to eat pizza in Naples is well covered by Internet foodies, so you shouldn't have any problem whatsoever. Angelo mentioned the islands, and I want to reiterate how much we enjoyed the one we picked, Procida (it was the closest). We were there in the winter, and it wasn't quite overrun with tourists, just medium-full. :eek: I hadn't even given any thought to diving there. I wish I could spend a week in every town in southern Italy. Come to think of it, I hear one could buy a house in some for one euro. :D

Back
Top Bottom