Italy diving - worth it? (late May)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I am not an expert of the areas around Naples. Most I know was reported to me by the sister of my wife. She is a marine biologist, working on Ischia island, at the Zoological Station Anton Dohrn.
Of course she does not need any diving center, as she uses the boat and the equipment of her lab.
I have seen nice photos and videos of Ischia diving sites, some of which are quite unique, with vulcanic underwater sources of thermal water and CO2 plumes...
So I am not able to point you to a single excellent diving center, although I know that some sites in the area provide amazing underwater scenery.
Diving in the Mediterranean sea is quite different than tropical reefs. In my opinion, none is better, but they are different, and it is worth to experiment both. The water can be much more transparent than elsewhere: I remember once at Montecristo island we were watching our boat while diving below 60 m depth, the water was truly transparent.
So please, do not assume that diving in Italy (or Spain, Greece, Corsica) is an experience inferior to Maldives or Red Sea, it can be as much emotional and satisfying.

I would extend what you said--"if you haven't been to Italy before"--to "if you haven't been to Naples before." We spent a week in Naples, and despite having the underwater archaeological park on our radar, found there was way more that we wanted to see and do in the Naples area than we could pack into a week. Our top priorities were Pompeii and pizza. And if you like Pompeii, don't miss Herculaneum, which may even be more interesting in some respects. Naples has a great museum. And did I mention pizza? We spent a full day on a pizza crawl. We also took a boat out to one of the islands, which we felt was well worth it. We also liked the hydrothermal vents of Campi Flegrei, which actually wasn't far from our VRBO. And the history--the jumping-off point for so many immigrants to America. Naples is fascinating. And did I mention pizza?
Interesting...the only reason I have extended our forthcoming trip to Italy is because of Baia..yes, call me culturally ignorant ;-) My question : I will be doing Pompeii, so that my non-diving wife doesn't file for divorce..but why Ercolano ? From the photos I saw on the web it looks like in the same vain as Pompeii..yes, better reserved, but smaller, less extras, etc.. - any reason ? I am thinking that 3 to 4 hours in Pompeii will leave you dead and/or exhausted..and it may be best to go back to Napoles for some pizza..and strolling..

Both Pompei and Ercolano are great. Pick Ercolano if you want to avoid crowds. But a little road trip on the Amalfi coast would be on my Naples to-do list too...

Hi @swong17, another Italian here :)

I'd love to answer, but I need to know a little bit more about you, so here you are some questions:
1) First time in Italy?
2) How much time will you stay?
3) What is your level? (OW, advanced, rescue, deep, technical, etc.)
4) What is your experience? (deep wrecks, current, etc.)

Both Pompei and Ercolano are great. Pick Ercolano if you want to avoid crowds. But a little road trip on the Amalfi coast would be on my Naples to-do list too...
Thanks Cheizz..I was planning on hitting Pompeii first thing in the morning, as in leaving so that i get there for 9.00ish...as I have read that it can get quite hot (we are going there in July). Not sure if we have the energy to two both places in the same day..if it is a must do, I will go the extra mile (quite literally..)

Hi @swong17, another Italian here :)

I'd love to answer, but I need to know a little bit more about you, so here you are some questions:
1) First time in Italy?
2) How much time will you stay?
3) What is your level? (OW, advanced, rescue, deep, technical, etc.)
4) What is your experience? (deep wrecks, current, etc.)
Hi ginti, can I barge in and answer according to my circumstances (please just ignore me if you only want to answer to the OP, I perfectly understand) :
1) no. ..but as if I was..my last and only time is about 50 years ago. Things may have changed ;-) None of my family have ever been.
2) you are going to love this...we are in Napoles for three days, leaving on the third. Diving is one day, Pompeii/Erculano another, the third probably enough time for a coffee..or Umberto galleries with that great ceiling.
3) by the time of our journey the one who is now OWD will be AOWD (or I'll drown her..), same goes for Nitrox.
4) As two of us are AOWD I can't put here that we have done more than 30m, that would invalidate my insurance and get some people to lecture..
We both love wrecks, have been to 6 so far. As you can imagine, as AOWD we are relative newbies to diving..hardly any current (not like those trips where you go down in one place and the boat picks you up a few miles down the way..). The third one has less experience still...remember they are kids, 16 and 14 by the time we travel. I do like underwater photography and videos, albeit on a very, very low budget/level.

Hi ginti, can I barge in and answer according to my circumstances (please just ignore me if you only want to answer to the OP, I perfectly understand) :
There's no reason to ignore you, but I still miss a piece actually... what kind of dives do you like, besides wrecks?

There's no reason to ignore you, but I still miss a piece actually... what kind of dives do you like, besides wrecks?
Thanks for your reply, ginti.. 1) wrecks 2) fish 3) tunnels 4) that's it.. I am simple to please ;-) As I never imagined that anything like Baia could exist, this will be 2a) . I am sure there are many more things below the water that will be added to my list, given time.. I have only done about 50 odd dives, so a newbie really..

Frankly speaking, given that you don't have much experience, don't have much time, and you haven't been in Italy for so much time, I would skip diving.

Italy usually doesn't offer the same scenario of the Maldives or the red sea, except for some places (for instance, Ustica), and this can be disappointing for many divers. There are many exciting things, but they often require technical training, for example, the Haven wreck or the caves in Sardinia. But given your level of training, many of these amazing things are out of your possibilities.

On the other hand, in the dry part of the world, Italy has to offer so much; close to Naples, there are so many unique places to visit: the Costiera Amalfitana, Pompei, Naples itself, Capri, Ischia and the amazing Reggia di Caserta (imagine a small version of Versailles).

If you really want to dive, I would think about the experience in the submerged city near Naples, but it's up to you to decide whether the cost of bringing the equipment is worth a single dive. You may try to get in touch with some local diving centres if you want more details, but obviously, they will try to sell their products, no matter what...

The underwater city of Baia has many very shallow parts I believe (5 m or so). Book an afternoon snorkeling trip to see the underwater ruins and spend the rest of your time on dry land. Saves the hassle of bringing scuba gear. I think a mask, snorkel, and fins are included in the snorkel trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom