It was miserable at Twin Lakes today! Where were all of you!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
In the water wasn't so bad according to Beast. Water temps were 72-73º above 42ft. Below that it was in the mid 60's. The lake will be turning over soon which accounts for the thermocline being so low. Why couldn't it be that low in the summer? :wink:

It was the surface that was so miserable. Windy, rain off and on all day and temps in the low 60's. One of the dive shops had a canopy with tarps hung on 2 sides to block the wind. Once out of the wind it was rather nice.

So...where was everyone? Steve...Beast won the race by default! Where was I? Sitting in the shelter with Roxy from R&D Scuba! No, I didn't dive today. Not a fan of wetsuits, my diving is done for the year except for 2 dives. I'll buddy with Beast and Tony when they do their 500th. I only ask they do it soon while the water is above 60º! haha

not showing up,but the wife was sick today so I stayed home to see about her needs.She is doing a little better this eve but still not back up to even par.
She got one of those nasty stomach bugs that knocker her down.
Well ....darn it...I know that I could have won the race .:(
But to the victor goes the spoils!Tell beast that we will have a rematch very soon!

I sympathize with her. Had that stuff a time or two myself. You were right to stay home and take care of her. You're a Peach!

Beast is ready for the rematch!

:)

Damn my heart is just about breakin for ya'll 60 deg jez how can you handle that :)

PS 12 deg air temp 43 water last dive of the year today in my 7mm

Cherry once bubbled...
Damn my heart is just about breakin for ya'll 60 deg jez how can you handle that :)

PS 12 deg air temp 43 water last dive of the year today in my 7mm

Well you see.....us SANE folks down here in the south know that 60º is cold.

It's you CRAZY folks up north who just don't know to come in out of the cold! :wink:

It seems that you've mentioned a place in Texas that I've not heard of.......where is Twin Lakes? I'm sure it isn't anywhere near Texarkana (NOTHING is :shaking: ) but it might be worth a drive for a weekend.

LOL...alot of folks haven't either! It's a new scuba park just south of Houston. Take 288 south to Hwy 6. Then south/left on Hwy 6 for about 1.5mi. Twin Lakes is on your right. Here's al couple of link to topside and underwater photos.

The first 12 topside photos show what it looked like in March this year before any improvements had been made. Just a local lake. The other were taken in July. Topside

The U/W photos give you and idea of the fishlife we see and the visibility, although as the popularity has risen, the visibility has lowered. :(
Underwater

Dee once bubbled...
In the water wasn't so bad according to Beast. Water temps were 72-73º above 42ft. Below that it was in the mid 60's. The lake will be turning over soon which accounts for the thermocline being so low. Why couldn't it be that low in the summer? :wink: ...

I was in quarry a few thousand miles north. In water a tad cooler than that! 52F above the thermocline (I'm told around 43F below -- I was with OW class, as the thermocline was at 65 ft, we didn't go there).

Next time I'm in the neighbourhood hehehehe....

Hey Lil' Buddy!
We've been tree divin'!
It waited 'till last night to start raining here, good thing too. Bren and I hit the woods yesterday morning and found the motherload of dead trees for firewood. I cut and split about 2 chords and Brenda and I now have Dad and Mom plenty, plus better than a half chord at the house, and still three good size ones to cut!
Bren's gonna help out at the courthouse with election night and then she's headed down Wed. or Thurs. for the weekend.
Low 60s and wind....sounds like last March!
With the lake turning over, how's the viz? Fall's colors are starting to show and it sure was nice in the woods this weekend. Didn't hear a shot all weekend so I guess the deer were bedded up or had a good hiding spot.
Well gotta' drive pretty soon, be the weary road warrior.

tony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom