It Was a Great Weekend for Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zf2nt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I returned to town late Thursday night after a month of diving the gin-clear waters of Bloody Bay Wall in Little Cayman. I had an Advanced Open Water course scheduled for the weekend, but after I saw the swell model I started making telephone calls to try to talk the students into moving the class at least until the next weekend. Two of them beat me to the punch by asking to transfer into my March class; the other two were insistent that they wanted to do it this weekend. I told them in no uncertain terms what they could expect, and they still insisted on going ahead with it. After lengthy discussion with them Friday evening, I decided, "Why not?"

Saturday morning, the conditions at Breakwater were truly fearsome. It was about the worst conditions under which I have ever tried to teach a class. I bumped into Ericson Reduta (a.k.a. "Scubajunkee"), and Ericson took some video clips of the attempts at surf entries some people were making. I hope he finds a way to post them, because you will see that lots of gear was being sacrificed to Neptune in those early attempts Saturday morning. Thus I spent a lot of time with my two students thoroughly reviewing surf entry procedures, and I gave them a chance to study other people making poor entries and getting trashed because of it. Finally I took them in, and they did beautifully. With nary a mishap, we swam out and began dive #1 of the day. Visibility was not even 5', and the surge even at 35 fsw was fairly terrible. Ten minutes into dive one, one of my students demanded to come to the surface and declared that she just could not do it and she wanted to bail out. This was her first time ever diving cold water, even though she had about 60 dives logged in the tropics. We calmed her down, and finally she went back down for another go at it.

To make a long story short, we didn't finish dive #3 until 5:28 p.m. It was a brutal day of training, but these two students I had hung in there and refused to give up. One of the navigation exercises had to be repeated 3 times before she got it right, but in the end both students swam a 100' on-a-side square and came back to within 5' of the starting point. That was no mean feat, given the powerful surge.

Sunday I took them out to the Metridium Fields, down to about 75', and they were dazzled. It was only about 10' of visibility, but when you go very slowly and look closely you can still find lots of stuff to interest you. Both students were really pumped after that one. We then went out and toured the wall--visibility no more than 5'. However, I found some stands of Corynactus to show them, pointed out lots of crabs and sand dabs and coppers and blues, etc., and they had a ball. We sent hundreds of gobies scurrying into their holes, watched Orange Sea Cucumber feeding, etc. They both came back exulting over how gorgeous it all was! When we got back after the dive to finish up paperwork, I showed them some of the photos I've taken around here and let them browse one of Chuck Davis' photo books. They're now totally hooked on CA diving!

So this is why I teach diving. I think I had more fun this past weekend, even in the worst conditions imaginable, than I did diving that awesome wall off Little Cayman. And the reason it was so much fun is that I gained new converts to CA diving; they definitely "got it"!

Bruce

Great story! And I have a question. After looking at Ericson's and Michelle's photos, with waves washing up onto the stairs and the rocks, I realize that in conditions like that at the breakwater I have no idea of what a good exit strategy would be. Did you just crawl out until you were close enough to get up and climb the stairs before another surge came? Or. . . ?

I would have to guess, timing and speed would be crucial in making it out w/out hitting the rocks. Granted I only stuck around until about 9 (didnt want to pay for parking and decided breakfast would be safer), I didnt actually see any exits.

I hope he finds a way to post them, because you will see that lots of gear was being sacrificed to Neptune in those early attempts Saturday morning. Thus I spent a lot of time with my two students thoroughly reviewing surf entry procedures, and I gave them a chance to study other people making poor entries and getting trashed because of it.

Although I was not in the class, I was helping the instructor of the class that you are referring to. The entry was tough for the students, the instructor, and the divemastes alike, but they thoroughly enjoyed the experience of the rough water entry and prayed that they will never be that bad again. What really made them smile was hearing the cheers from the shore as each buddy team made it through they surf zone. I don't know that I have ever seen a bigger set of smiles from a group of divers that had to enter under those conditions. That gave them the sense of what the diving community is all about.

Once they made it through the surf zone, and made it t calmer waters, the vis really wasn't that bad on saturday. Sunday one the other hand was absolutely horrible, especially out at McAbee. Vis out there was 5 ft or less...

It was still fun diving and had a blast. Glad to hear others did too....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom